Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Tips/Pork Brisket Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Tips/Pork Brisket Bones

BJ's is now selling Pork Brisket Bones (rib tips) in cryovac. Has anybody ever cooked rib tips or have any useful ideas for how to use them? The price is right. I haven't bought them yet, however.

DEW

Pork + ribs = always good

I think the rib tips is what we get when we trim down the spare ribs to SLC's. If not, close enough for guvment work.

Comment

Yes, Jerod. That's the stuff.

Comment

Dem good.

Comment

So what do you do with them?

Comment

We cook on the side as appetizers. I thought about getting some to make Meathead's Chinese ribs. I'll probably just get some back ribs and slice them up. You dream of ribs and not having to mess with a stinkin' membrane.

Everybody loves Chinese restaurant "BBQ" ribs. They have a distinct pork flavor, a glossy sheen that implies the sweet glaze beneath, and a glowing red-pink color that penetrates the surface. Here's a simple recipe for making Chinatown char siu ribs at home on your grill or in the oven featuring a flavorful marinade.

Comment

I would probably make chinese steamed in black bean sauce from some of them, but was wondering if there is something good that can be done with them on the smoker. I'm not sure what "cook them on the side as appetizers" means. What kind of appetizers and/or what kind of cooking them up? Not trying to be a PITA. I'm looking for ideas/suggestions since the price is right.

DEW

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                A Chinese place here fries them and then quickly Woks them in much garlic and chili.

Just to have something to nibble on before the main ribs are ready. Kids are always hungry. ALWAYS.

That way they I don't have to mess with them later, and they don't go to waste.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I know I'm being a pest, but what, exactly, do you do with them? How do you prepare and cook them? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

DEW

Here's a post from a while back asking the same question. http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...s-for-rib-tips

Comment

I usually smoke them like anything else. Just watch the time as they are so thin they are done quick. After they start cooling where you can touch them I cut them into bite size pieces cutting between each piece of cartilage. Then add some sauce and put the rest in a container with sauce and hold them in the refrigerator for a couple of days to let them absorb juices. After that I will freeze them in quart containers and can pull them out whenever one needs them. Great finger food for a deck party in the summer. We use a red sauce but with vinegar, mustard and hot sauce. Tangy is good with them. And plenty of napkins!

Comment

Basic cure and smoke the boney part like a ham hock and make broth for hoppin john, lots of collagen and some bone make a killer broth. The other part is so lean I'm usually confit it and make rilletes to snack on. Rilletes are pretty much meat mixed with broth or lard into a spreadable paste like substance. Serve with picked cherry tomatos on a toast.

Comment

I cook 'em up with the SLCs and use the meat in chili or stew.

Comment

I use rib tips a lot. For my rig, I just rub and cook till tender. Rib tips are a good value and taste wonderful, just like their larger cousins. Remember, it's not what you have, but what you DO with what you have.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here