Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough Bacon

I made my first homemade Bacon last week using MH Maple Bacon recipe. It turned out good with Great flavor but seems a little "tough and more chewy" than we like. I have Sous Vide store bought bacon before and then grilled it until desired doneness. Thinking about that for my homemade bacon. Any other thoughts to tenderize it more?

Your are remembering to cut across grain, right?

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      How did you cook it Skip

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      cast iron pan

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife sometimes puts a lid on the skillet to stop splatter, or an activated charcoal splatter shield. They both trap moisture and results in chewier bacon. Are you frying it with no lid?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181004_091552.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	574540

Well I SV'd some of my Bacon @145 for 12 hours and grilled it on the Pellet Grill @375 for 20 Minutes. Now it is tender and crispy just the way we prefer it! I have SV'd & Grilled store bought bacon before with good results. I like to do a couple pounds at a time and then freeze it. With just two of us in the house we can get a few slices out at a time. It helps a little with the cholesterol.

Comment

Hi Skip!

Good idea about SV your bacon! I made bacon for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I liked the taste, but I found it a little tough and chewy and was disappointed with the results. Now I have a better plan of attack the next time I try making bacon. Thanks for your idea!!

Comment

Guys, my wife sadly is the only family member who just won’t eat my home cured bacon - she hates it. She loves store bought bacon, but just doesn’t like the consistency of my home cured bacon. I think it’s what you describe - a little tougher and chewier, and not as crispy as she likes. I gave up and have been buying 4 pound packs of Wright’s bacon recently on trips to Sam’s, which is just as well as my Sam’s seems to have quit stocking pork belly, forcing me up the road to Costco (less convenient).

Comment

One way to combat the chewiness of the bacon is too smoke it up too 195 F or so, just like you would a brisket. I know the recipe says to go up too about 160 F or so. But I don't like pork belly another way than melt in you mouth. That is what I shoot for when I make bacon.

Comment

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks John. I might try smoking to 195 next time to see how it works for me.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          The slab will get very tender, so you do need to be more careful when you are handling it. Once it cools, it is easier to handle. Skip

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here