Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with an upcoming cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with an upcoming cook

I am new here and I hope that this is the correct area to post this in.
    Our church, over the past several years, has had a "pay for" meal to raise funds for various activities. This year we are doing a Valentines banquet on the 8th of February. The meat will be grilled pork tenderloin and yours truly (as in the past) is in charge of preparing the meat. My wife heads this up and she doesn't want to vary in any way from the past cooks, so here are my parameters:
    1. Somewhere around 4 loins sliced approximately 1/2" thick
    2. Gas grill (probably my Weber Spirit - 3 burner) which does a good job of maintaining heat...etc...
    3. The meat is cooked at the church, so no transporting
    4. (Here comes the dilemma) the boss only allows me to use a garlic salt mixture from Sam's which is one of those larger containers and has the little green flecks of something in it and it's really not that bad.

Past problems that I want to overcome (hopefully):
    1. In the past when I have done this, I get tough pieces just trying to make sure it is done since we don't make anyone sick. We usually cook this enough in advance to place the cooked pieces in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes prior to serving in order tender up but this doesn't always work out.
    2. We had a few complaints last year from some of those "Fat Baptists" that their one slice wasn't enough, so should we thicken up the slices or give them two (kind of unfair since everyone pays the same), or should I just tell them "it's a fundraiser for crying out loud, shut up!"
    3. Obviously, all the meat can't be cooked at the same time (not enough room) so what are suggestions for warming until serving time. I am estimating that there could be an hour + rest time for the first pieces.

I'd like to hang these up in the PBC and then take off and slice but that may not be in the cards since Momma doesn't want to change; however, I may just try that Saturday at home and then see is I can sell her on it.

Thanks guys and gals you all are awesome!

I am assuming you mean pork loin, not tenderloin, correct? What internal temperature are you taking your meat to on the grill? That is really the key. Once they are done, I would want them wrapped or covered in a very low oven -170° or less. 150 would probably be better.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that it's labeled "tenderloin" and that's what I've always called it, and yes it is pork. Better research what the difference is I guess. Thanks Dew.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tenderloin are little 1.5-2 lb tubes of boneless, very soft meat. Pork loin is the whole loin, often with the bones removed to be baby back ribs.

Yep, wrap them and put it in a cool oven until serving time.

Comment

Pork loins are much much bigger, maybe 4-5" in diameter compared to just 1-2" for tenderloin. To keep it from drying out as much as possible while keeping the bugs away, I would cook to 140 and then transfer to the oven. The oven needs to be at a max of 150 (test it with a probe, it could be a long way off), any higher and the meat will be overcooked. When you put it in the oven, try to keep them stacked on top of each other as much as possible, this will help the moisture.
        Can you charge for the plate and then have a separate charge for an extra meat portion? You want them to eat enough, but they should pay for more if they eat more.

Comment

Okay, that clears that up, I guess it is a "pork loin". Gotta understand something folks when you are from Kentucky, a hog has four hams (LOL). Won't be any bugs John, the cook is a week from Saturday and it's coldern' crap here now. What do you all think about the seasoning, should I mix with oil (or something else) and wet brine or just throw it on dry at time of cook. Also, I'm not going to kill anybody if I stop at 140 IT am I?
          Extra charge may not work John, we are getting $25 a couple (with a little cheap entertainment thrown in), so maybe just be polite and ask who wants an additional serving. What do you all think about 3/4" slices, wonder how many ounces that is and what it does to my timing?

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            140°F is cooked for pork, particularly if you hold it there for a while, so, no, you won't kill (or even sicken) anybody. The problem with pork loin is that it is very lien and therefore not very moist and just a few degrees above "done" and it becomes noticeably dry. As for seasoning, I would salt it well about 24-48 hours in advance of cooking and keep it covered in the fridge. About 1/2 hour or so before cooking, put a thin coat of oil (you can use the canned cooking spray) and season with other herbs and spices (not more salt) and put it back in the fridge until you are ready to put it on the cooker. If you are only using the garlic salt with the parsley flakes in it, then do that 24-48 hours in advance, and lightly coat with oil before you cover it and put it in the fridge.

DEW

Here is a pork loin:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	boneless_roast-lobels-230.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	57379

Here is a pork tenderloin:

Click image for larger version

Name:	varkenshaas.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	57380

DEW

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Great now I'm hungry.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too. They had nice looking tenderloins at BJ's today for only $2.99/lb. Schmuck that I am, I bought only baby backs at $3.49/lb. Considering that baby backs are 49-50% bone by weight, not to mention the fat, and tenderloin is about 99% delicious tender meat, the tenderloins would have been a way better choice. But when you gotta have ribs, you just gotta have them, I guess.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here