Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to try a hot and fast pork shoulder today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to try a hot and fast pork shoulder today

I have a nice big pork shoulder I dry brined late last night, and I just lit the kamado. This should be interesting.

It will go great for you. I usually do mine at a hot & fast pace as well.

Comment

Let it rip

Comment

Like, how hot and how fast? Is there an advantage other than saving time?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Not that I know of.

Let us know what temps you are running at. Pork shoulder handle this kind of thing very well.

Comment

I threw it into the Primo XL with the DigiQ set to 350 at 9 am. Last night I hit it with kosher salt, and this morning I applied olive oil and Memphis Dust. I forgot to weigh the pork shoulder but it's a big bone-in shoulder.

Comment

I'm keeping an eye on things from my office. I just checked and after about 2 hours we're at 120f.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NGTO9U4HPkiwKQeqB43fOJos9jI9Iu-KPAZ31m3-5YKVJUlAquqlozLmP8-jdp9N1WbST2avNRC5W-g0al8D6Ezy89dbwQl7-hQlw5xRNTZ7leDcCDYXCChD5CjIhzLshO42ylRkvhPwMDWRv67VeGYvMI_udO96mSVBPUtN2CmvPTN9Pa79L-tvAQHJv-PAmdXdmC8MtsK0_edF2rlGBy49FMD-X3jsx9liwkHb8LZzVid0w261sxyfTXpzlmE
Views:	141
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	568666

Comment

it's always nice to have something to look forward to when you get home

Comment

5 hours in and I'm at 192f.

Comment

Man I'd be so stressed leaving that at home while at work!

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, I have it monitored with that camera. Plus I work from an office in the back of my house. There's even a deck off the office that overlooks the outdoor kitchen. So it's all good.
                    Last edited by Attjack; September 20, 2018, 10:28 PM.

• JakeT
                    JakeT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    oooohhhh well yeah that's different haha. My office is 45 minutes away!

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do make a habit of going to the bar while doing long cooks. But I'm always nearby.

It was fully probe-tender at 3:30 so it took 6.5 hours. Last time I did one with the same setup at 225f it took 19 hours. Quite the difference. I now have it in cambro and it'll get pulled and sauced in time for Thursday Night Football. I'm more than a little disappointed that I didn't take a pic on the grill, but I'll try to get one before I pull it. The little piece of bark that stuck to the grill was thick, crunchy and tasty.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hot n fast works fine for me. Sometimes I drop the amount of sugar in the rub so it doesn't tend to burn as easy.

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good tip. I'm going to pay attention to see if burnt sugar is an issue.

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do think the sugar was on the edge of being burnt, but I actually like the flavor. I could see backing it if just a little though.

It came out great.

Name:	20180920_191538.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	568875

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is a thing of Beauty, Brother! Nice Job!!!!

At 350, that seemed to take a while. Seems to me as I've done them quicker. No pics so no matter about me. Let's see that beautiful thing pulled and framed. I like to slide them so they get to be crispy steaks. Awesome!!!

Comment

Name:	20180920_191532.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	568891Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180920_192825_crop_890x461cropped.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	568892
                    I sauced it with a Korean BBQ sauce and used a kimchi mayo, pickles, and Asian salad mix on a toasted bun. This may have been the best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had.

Comment

• Mudkat
                      Mudkat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'd eat that hot and fast!

• NoogaQ
                      NoogaQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That a baby!!

Nice work! I tend to think you just get it up to temp and give it an adequate hold time, and it's all good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here