Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork tenderloin flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork tenderloin flavor

When I smoke tenderloin I usually wrap in bacon, it needs more flavor and fat, and everything needs bacon. However a friend of mine asked me to smoke some tenderloin but leave out all of the fat for health reasons. I tried it tonight, and while it tasted fine, and the texture was perfect, it had absolutely no flavor outside of the last few millimeters. Any thoughts on more flavor? Injection, marinade or something? I think Dr Blonder mentioned on his site freezing so there is more time to form a crust, but i'm not sure that would make it to the interior.
    My only other thought is to split it and tie it up, but these things are pretty thin already and I think splitting it would compromise the texture and juiciness.
    Thanks.

Originally posted by John View Post
    Injection, marinade or something?
    Exaclty, the Char Siu marinade would be brilliant, a curry or herb rub, slather it in SC mustard bbq sauce, soy sauce on its own is also great.

Comment

Try this. I use this marinade and procedure for many fast cooking proteins. It is versatile and tasty.

½ cup kikkoman soy sauce
      about ¼ cup oil (evoo, canola, etc.)
      1 T. Coarse black pepper.

Mix ingredients, then marinate, turning frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the meat turns a couple shades darker.
      Now, depending on the end use of the meat, you can mix in fresh chopped herbs into the marinade. Cilantro, basil, rosemary, etc., will all work well, depending on the end use. This marinade will introduce big flavors without masking the interior flavor of the meat.

Comment

Thanks guys, will give these a try.

Comment

I usually us a reverse sear method on tenderloin.

Comment

It's so lean that it really needs some help. It can be a delicious cut if done right, I find a wet brine is key to retaining moisture and I never take pork tenderloins past 140 IT, too lean to cook any more than that.

Comment

I cook my tenderloins over direct heat, with the temperature being about 400 or so on the temp guage (I use a green egg for direct heat cooking). I cook it on all four sides so that no one side gets too charred.

With about 10 minutes to go, I use a blackberry barbecue sauce from John Folse's Encyclopedia of Cajun Cuisine.

Chef John Folse & Company is the parent company of several food related industries. From custom food manufacturing to fine dining and bed breakfast, Chef John Folse & Company encompasses many aspects of the foodservice industry. From Lafitte's Landing Restaurant at Bittersweet Plantation to our manufacturing facility located in Donaldsonville, Chef John Folse & Company's gumbo of foodservice venues continue to add seasonings to the pot. White Oak Plantation nestled in the heart of Baton Rouge is home to our catering division offering services in off-premise and on-site event coordination. Chef John Folse's Bakery Division creates Fine Artisanal, breads, pastry & desserts. In addition, Chef John Folse & Company's publishing division has produced 7 books in the Cajun & Creole Series and accepts titles from independent writers. Chef John Folse hosts a radio talk show called

It's one of the few things I cook on the grill that I don't tinker with anymore. I highly recommend it.

Comment

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like a great, different flavor for pork. Thanks

I do a char siu pork tenderloin all the time, usually sous vide (you can find my recipe on the Sous Vide Supreme website http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2012...siu-sous-vide/) with a reverse sear. The short of it is that you get the NOH brand char siu marinade mix packet and use it as a dry rub.

Comment

My wife doesn't want any pink and this method keeps it from drying out and imparts a lot of flavor. You should brine it, rinse and dry, and marinade in EVOO for an hour. Try smoking it at 215 degrees until it gets to about 130. Put it in the smoker as very cold, firm meat, to smoke longer without going over 125 or 130. Take it off the smoker, coat liberally with a seasoning of your choice and EVOO (I use Fiesta Brand fajita seasoning) wrap it in saran wrap, then foil, and back in the smoker or an oven, at no more than 225 degrees. You can then take it to whatever temp you prefer.

Comment

Daddeo, are you really putting Saran Wrap on the grill? I don't believe I've seen this before, wanted to make sure I understood correctly. Intuitively, it doesn't sound good but I won't claim to know so. I suppose that wrapped with foil and containing a nice pc of moist meat, it could be fine. Just seeking clarification, seems a harsh environment for plastic wrap

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here