Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Question

Recently purchased ribs at Sam's Club which are still in packaging but have a sell by date of Jan 26, obviously frozen at one time but not now. Planning on cooking on Feb.1 at Super Bowl party. Should I freeze, keep refrigerated or cook and by newer for the Bowl.

I don't know a good answer for this... but if it were me, I would probably keep it refrigerated (I hate re-freezing) - you have 5 days before seasoning then back in the fridge for one day before cooking.

Comment

Lots of ways to slice this one. My two cents:

I would not re-freeze them. They may still be good on the 1st but I wouldn't risk it with a party looming. I'd cook them and start over just to error on the side of caution.

Comment

Yeah... Jon is right.

I need to learn to stay away from questions like this.

I take chances with food... maybe more than I should. It will bite me someday. I rationalize that with, 'sell by date' VS 'use by date' are different, but I don't actually know the definition of those and like I said... it will prolly bite me someday.

Jon's idea of just cooking then and starting over is the right one.
        Last edited by smarkley; January 24, 2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I differentiate what I am cooking for myself, and what others will consume. I would not take a chance on causing a friend or loved one to become sick. And while my wife thinks I am too lenient, I think as you regarding the sell by date, I really don't take a chance on getting myself sick, either. Factor in how many times the fridge has been opened, the temp of your fridge, etc. Just not worth it. Food poisoning is one awful sick. Enjoy them this weekend and start fresh for the party, where you'll be confident you are serving safely. JMHO

Comment

If I had bought on the 26th and the ribs were in a good tight vacuum packaging I would keep them in the fridge until the morning of the 29th. I would break open the vacuum bag, dry off the ribs and dry brine them for 24 hrs in the fridge, then rub for 24 hrs. It is now Super Bowl day and I would cook them low qand slow (225*F) for about 5 hrs and they would be great!!

If it was standard grocery store packaging I would take them out, dry brine for 24, rub for 24 and then freeze. On the 31st I would get the grill going at 225*F and take directly out of the freezer and put on the grill/smoker. Figure an extra 45 min for being frozen when you put them on the grill. They possibly will absorb a little extra smoke because the meat will be colder longer so it can absorb more smoke.

Comment

These are vacuum packed by Sam's and are air tight and have been refrigerated both at Sam's and at home, so I was wondering what the "Sell By" date represents. I have consumed Sam's ribs after the sell by date previously and had no ill affects but still I've been wondering. I saw a post by the PITMASTER where he had just purchased a Prime Rib with also a 26th sell date so what did it mean.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions folks... think I will cook these up tomorrow and use it as a test run for the Bowl...

Comment

The safest thing to do is start over, and buy new meat for the SB, but I have briskets in cryo-vac in my fridge for 40+ days before I cook them. But this has to be YOUR call.

Comment

I agree with Jon. Cook those ribs. Pork does not get better with age. The prime strip loin I bought is now cut into steaks and in the freezer. Had four steaks off of it so far. Never frozen. They were awesome.

Comment

I concur with most of the advice above, DON'T risk it, don't try to save past the sell by date. I've had Sam's ribs that I used a couple days before the sell by date and upon opening they were rank. I would never trust going past. Beef, if it has a "packed on" date, can be saved 4 weeks past, but don't do it with pork.

Your plans of a trial run now then repeat fresh for the game are the best in my book.

Comment

I am pretty weird about my stuff, whenever I cook for others you would think I was in surgery, scrub up, ALWAYS wear gloves when I tough any food, disinfect everything. Went out to eat with someone who got food poisoning and almost died, I won't risk it.

Comment

I would re-freeze. All the info out there says no problem and if you think about it, "What do you have to lose". Ribs will defrost so quickly in their cry-o. I've done this with ribs turkeys etc. even just for a couple days of question...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here