Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sous vide baby backs....GOODNESS GRACIOUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sous vide baby backs....GOODNESS GRACIOUS

I'll tease y'all with this then I'll be back with details. I'm in tears right now, OK OK it all started with a rack of baby backs, salted and vacuum wrapped. Yes just salt. Filled the hot tub time machine and heated to 145 degrees. Time set for 48 hours. Time is up, dunked them in an ice bath for 20 minutes then refrigerated Here's where things got interesting. I got home today and my daughter is asking for ribs. I wasn't planning on finishing these today but this is where sous vide cooking shines. So I went to the refrigerator and pulled out the rib pack, Not appetizing, I know. Hit them with my rub. Git the Weber performer going with Ozark oak and a chunk of pecan wood. It's the one flaming. I wasn't concerned about temp here, kids were hungry. 20 minutes in Meanwhile, it just hit me that I got no sides or BBQ sauce. So into the kitchen I go. These carrots were sous vide a few days ago and refrigerated 45 minutes later..... Ladies and gentlemen.......these ribs picked up enough smoke you'd think that I never used the tub. Very tender, juicy. My 3 year old had to be restrained.

Wow. Were they fall off the bone? Looks that way with the clean bones. Curious how you feel these compared to a full blown last meal ribs approach.

Comment

Hot tub time machine, I like it. My offset is the 'hot tube time machine' I guess.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that Huskee "Hot Tub Ribs" LOL

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Hot tub was Ernest's words, credit where it's due

PB, my wife thought they were smoked from start to finish. I think the smoke session right out of the refrigerator did the trick instead of actually grilling them.

Comment

Gotcha, but did these beat out your typical last meal rib cook? That's what I want to know.

Comment

Close call, I'll pick these, yes.

Comment

Hmmmm. Now you got me thinking Sous vide.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              BUT, that "under an hour" doesn't include the 2 full days in the HTTM, right? Just sayin'. But they look good and I am getting an Anova for my birthday in April.
              Last edited by Dewesq55; January 24, 2015, 02:36 PM.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Well it wasn't really under an hour; it was 48 hours first! But I get what you mean, yes.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Imma thinkin bout it!

You're killing me Ernest! With my limited budget I was going to get a PBC, but now I'm torn! I can do poor man sous vide for short cooks, but not multiple day cooks! I can do most anything in my small cookshack, but a PBC would let me do so much more volume wise. Decisions decisions!

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a no brainer, get the PBC

This looks great! So just the rub and sauce on the side?

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              I applied my modified Memphis dust and whipped up a quick vinegary glaze with star anise and mace

Heck, now I'm thinking of a sous vide machine :-) Need to investigate how much they cost over here. Great ribs, Ernest!

Comment

Wonder if a review of sous vide machines on AR would ever happen. Would seem kinda bizarre with it being mainly about BBQ, but apparently it works pretty damn well with it.

Comment

I have a sous vide oven. I've used it twice in the last year. The issue isn't that it is good, or not good; the issue is that I don't plan meals 48 hours in advance. Or sometimes even 6 hours in advance. I'm old, and set in my ways I guess.

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll give you $50 for it.

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Nah, I'll get around to using it someday. I guess I'd trade it, but I have no idea for what.

+1

Those ribs look great.

I love sous vide. I have an SVS on my kitchen counter and use it all of the time. Wouldn't trade it.

But...

I have had an issue with sous vide ribs that I haven't yet resolved. When prepared this way (sous vide 48 hours @ 140°F and then finished on the grill), the fat in the ribs never renders fully. With baby backs, maybe that's not such a problem. With regular back ribs (like the 3-pack Sam's Club sells), there's more meat and fat.

You have to love fridge-to-table in one hour ribs. I should try this again with some baby backs and see what the difference is.

Good work, Ernest!

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes and that's why I decided to do baby backs. I don't think they STL ribs would work well.

I used to use a slightly reversed version of this. Smoked in my Bradley for an hour or two first, then 48 hours in the thermal bath, then finish them on a grill. I got the idea from Modernist Cuisine, and wrote it up back then at: http://sousvide.org/. However, while I still absolutely do a version of that for short ribs, I've gone back to the "old-fashioned" smoker only style for spare ribs & baby backs (on my Memphis now). Somehow they seem to have more tooth to them, and it is easier to get the crust (at least for me). Although now that I have the Memphis, maybe I should try the sous-vide combo again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here