Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Hot and Fast Pork Butt Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Hot and Fast Pork Butt Cook

Started at 11am Sunday morning. Got the WSM fired up, no water pay just foiled the pan. Rub used was one of Henrik , I purchased both the beef and the pork one. No injections of any sort. Just applied olive oil and the rub. Put the butt on at 200 degrees while the smoker was heating up. Woods used were whispering oak and cherry. Cooked at 275-285. 4 hours later, the bark had set nicely so I crutched it using about 4 ounces of pineapple juice. Got distracted binge watching "Shooter" on Netflix and next thing I knew the IT went from 190 to 207 . Pulled it off the cooker at 6pm and probed it....like butter! Put in the cambro for 3 hours then hand pulled and served. Wife said it was the best pork butt I have ever cooked. Super juicy and excellent bark. This is the first hot and fast butt I have ever attempted as I usually cook them naked at say 225-250 which almost always takes 13-14+ hours. I will definitely be cooking them this way going forward. If you haven't tried any of Henrik rubs your and your taste buds are missing out!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1535389051966.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	556431

Name:	FB_IMG_1535389064841.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	556432

Name:	FB_IMG_1535389073237.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	556433

That is a glorious butt! Looks super moist, I can almost smell it from here. Thanks for trying out my rub, super cool. And I’m real glad you like it!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, it was awesome! Looking forward to trying the beef one real soon.

Awesome cook man! I used Henrik 's rub for my pork butts this weekend! What a fantastic rub that is! I love the subtle sweet flavor to it. I am going to be ordering more for sure. I also love the granular size of the rub, it makes for some great bark and adheres very well. After following Aaron Franklin's direction, I have become more tuned into the granular size of pepper and salt for my briskets. I have really focused in on dialing in those sizes to improve bark and surface texture. So when I get a commercial rub I try to get one that is close to what I use for Brisket.

Also, I am with you on going hot and fast for now on. I cooked my butts at 225 F for over 24 hours on the BGE! They came out amazing but there is no reason to go at 225 F. For now on, I am going 275 F. Plenty of bark and half the time!

Nice cook brother!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker 16 mesh granulated onion and garlic? That sounds very interesting!

• TDuckro
      TDuckro commented
      Editing a comment
      Any secret to getting a more granular spice? Brands or something?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Your best bet is to go to a spice shop or a higher end grocer that sells specific types in different sizes. TDuckro

So if I have been estimating 90 minutes per pound at 225-235 what would be my time estimate be at 275?

Comment

Looks delicious! I'm thinking about trying Henriks rub. I see it contains salt. I usually like to dry brine and use meatheads saltless rub recipes. Is the salt content in henriks rub too high to use in addition to dry brining? Or do you guys use the rub itself as a dry brine?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      You can dry brine as usual, with salt (only). Then apply the rub. There is salt in the two, but not much. The beef has 8% / 18% (volume/weight), and the pork is 7% / 14% (volum/weight).

• goosebr160
      goosebr160 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Henrik. I look forward to trying them!

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      The salt content and taste is very low in both. Just as an accent.

CaptainMike nice looking Pork sir I sent you a P.m

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here