Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some help w/ BB ribs please --have never done before and will be only my 5th cook on new Traeger Silverton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Rod,

What temp are you looking for w/ probe ?

Comment

Here they are at 5hrs 225 deg. w/ tiny amt of bone just starting to show --any recommendations on what instant read Thermopro temp I'm looking for to put on the maple glaze ? I'm getting scared of overcooking.Click image for larger version  Name:	0823181550.jpg Views:	1 Size:	855.9 KB ID:	553791

Comment

With ribs you're not really looking for a temp with the probe, it's a feel thing. Get a thin skewer like a toothpick, a cake tester or an instant read thermometer, and probe between the bones. There should be a little initial resistance breaking through the bark and then almost no resistance. Kind of like a perfectly baked potato. On BBs this is likely to happen between 190 - 203, but every rack is different, so probing by feel is a better bet than temp.

Oh, and do this from the meaty side and in a couple of spots on each rack.

Comment

• barebear
          barebear commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw this just after I posted pict. of finished prod.--these guys were super meaty -cut one rack and white w/ pink smoke ring but camera on my old flip phone couldn't show it. Did toothpick them and no resistance at all; temp read app 185. TYSM for your help.

And here is the finished product,,,,,,I cut one rack abnd there is a pretty pink smoke ring but the camera on my flip phone wouldn't show it so y'all gots to settle for this .. ( snivel LOL)Click image for larger version

Name:	0823181723.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	553874

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          They look great to me!

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look fantastic!

• Bumby
          Bumby commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!

Holy heck, you just made some ribs!

Comment

• barebear
          barebear commented
          Editing a comment
          And they came out better than I'd hoped for --especially for my first try at BB's

Drooling here! What’s YOUR take on how they came out barebear?

Comment

• barebear
          barebear commented
          Editing a comment
          Very juicy and flavorful --came off bone w/o falling off, but clean bone per pix in MHG book - last temp check in middle of big piece of meat away from bone was 185 app --had never done BB before --think they may have more going for them than SL re flavor/juiciness/texture. Maple glaze recipe rocks - wife who doesn't like ribs thought they were " first rib I've liked " Poor deprived girl LOL !
          Last edited by barebear; August 24, 2018, 10:53 AM.

• obiQsmoker
          obiQsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Outstanding!
          Had similar experience w/my first ribs - wife was just OK with ribs until my first batch off the smoker and she told me I could do that ANY time I liked! Memphis Dust and d a nice sauce … and that smoke!... dang, now I'm drooling again. Anyway, grats on a rockin' cook!

See piece of cake. Don’t fret none. All that worrying for nuttin. Good job.

Comment

Them R some Awesome Looking WIBS

Comment

barebear Nice job. Sorry for not responding to your temp question, but mnavarre answered exactly how I would have. Hope they tasted as good as they look!

Comment

Very juicy and flavorful --came off bone w/o falling off, but clean bone per pix in MHG book - last temp check in middle of big piece of meat away from bone was 185 app --had never done BB before --think they may have more going for them than SL re flavor/juiciness/texture. Maple glaze recipe rocks - wife who doesn't like ribs thought they were " first rib I've liked " Poor deprived girl LOL !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here