Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ham I Am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ham I Am

My First Post on this board... Seems like lot's of knowledgeable folks here! Ok, down to business. I bought a 9 pound picnic ham I intend to cure. I've never done a ham before (but plenty of bacon) so I figured on giving it a go (at .99 a pound, I'm not too worried). I'm following a method close to the one on this site, injection brining it for 7 days but cold smoking before hot smoking. The brine uses Instacure #1. If I want to cold smoke (say 12 hours) do I need to worry and use Instacure #2? The cold smoke plan was overnight in a WSM with the Amzn Pellet tray and Ice in the water bowl. My winter Ambient night time temps run around 50-60. This is a fun problem to have...

I would be reluctant to cold smoke for two reasons. 1. Even with your cure in place, the cure will merely slow down but not stop bacterial action. 2. You'll be hot smoking long enough to put all the smoke flavor you will ever need by the time the ham is done.

Comment

Thanks Strat. After a zillion conflicting opinions throughout the internet forums, youtube and everything else I've read... I'm going with a straight hot smoke after an injected 7 day cure. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Comment

You are most welcome sir. Cold smoking cured meat is kind of a forbidden subject here due to legal liabilities that Amazing Ribs might incur. Anyway, please keep us posted on your cook. I'm currently on jury duty this month, so I have to cook vicariously through others..lol

When I finally get a bit of time off, I've been considering doing a cured ham. The problem is, we're empty nesters and would have to find a use for all that ham!

Comment

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          Strat, my wife and I are also empty nesters and we love doing hams. The next morning you can have Eggs Benedict with the ham, and ham steaks and eggs on another morning, save some for making some ham and bean soup or ham and plit pea soup (we usually freeze some portions for the soups as I can't eat that much ham that fast. Anyway you get the idea, it goes well on pizza also.

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Marauderer, you are right, of course. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but there are many things that we could do with a large amount of ham and trimmings/bones. Frijoles comes to mind...lol

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that is why we love to have a ham every once in a while for the variety it provides.

It worked, and was perfect. I injected twice - once at the beginning and again on day 3. Best ham I've ever had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0632.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	60897 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0635.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	60898

Comment

Wow... What a great looking ham.

Comment

That ham is picture perfect. I know, bad pun. You did a fantastic job on your cook. Kudos!

Comment

Oh Yes!! You outdid yourself on this one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here