Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin’ Bacon - New Baseline Achieved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makin’ Bacon - New Baseline Achieved

This is my third time making a batch of bacon, starting with Meathead’s basic recipe and going from there. I’ve finally got the seasonings down to just how we like it. The basic recipe was a bit sweet for us, I wanted to take that down a notch and amp up the salty, savory and spiciness factors. This is what I’ve arrived at that we all like:

6 tsp black pepper
    5 tsp kosher salt
    1.5 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp dried garlic
    1.5 tsp McCormicks Fiery 5 Pepper
    4T dark brown sugar
    3/4c distilled water
    Prague powder

I dont quick wash it after the cure, it seems to take too much away. I also smoked it at a little lower temp this time and for a little longer. I brought the kettle up to 225F, then put the meat on and it settled around 185F. I just let it go and it slooowly climbed to 235F over the cook. Still using hickory, might change that up next time and keep the rest of the recipe the same and see if we notice. Pretty happy with this run!

We ended up immediately making BLTs. We used a Cherokee Purple tomato that we bought at that roadside stand in the Great Smokey Mountains not far from Cherokee, NC. Just wonderful.
    Attached Files

Nice!

Putting bacon in the PBC today...BLTs likely after work tomorrow...

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      BLTs are underrated I think!

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I prefer BLK's, or just BK's

Looks great!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankya, sir!

FishTales you been on a roll lately

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Our oven is broken! 😂 And it’s my last day of a 2 week vacation, back to reality this week.

Good looking bacon and good looking sandwich! Good tomato too. We like the Cherokee Purple tomato a lot but can’t find it often around here.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Donw they really are tasty, I wish we’d have bought more - we went thru 3 this past week!

I like the sequence, right from the slabs to a sandwich. 😎

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      The lifecycle of a pork belly around here FireMan! Still don’t understand why the original order of photo uploads isn’t honored. 🙄

Looks wonderful! Thanks for the post. Great advice from you. I have the pork belly in the freezer. I just need to get at it one of these days.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Skip ! Good luck with it, the bacon is worth the effort!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here