Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Bachelor Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Bachelor Dinner

I’m in bachelor mode until about 5 PM on Sunday, when the wife gets home and we are going to a neighbor’s house for brats and burgers. So, today is Bachelor Dinner #2: SLC ribs on the Hasty-Bake, macaroni salad, and Shiner Bock :-)

Bought a rack of spares yesterday, trimmed them up into a nice set of SLC’s. Cooking the tips along with the ribs. Dry brined the ribs overnight, fired up the Hasty-Bake around 11 AM .... just in time for a summer rainstorm to hit and cool everything off .... argh. Now that the rain is past, the HB is running at a nice steady 240F, ribs and tips are on, macaroni salad is made and hanging out in the fridge.

Cooking with Cowboy brand hardwood briquettes and red oak I got from Steve R. .... backyard is starting to smell good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4B49A6D7-0602-49C9-A07B-A331C9104741.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	547063Click image for larger version  Name:	4DEC3452-AA98-439F-B29F-F8C32DF59814.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	547062Click image for larger version  Name:	422B3668-EA92-4353-8EE2-BF91130D4D51.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.27 MB ID:	547065Click image for larger version  Name:	A7A84844-F1EB-4ED1-8929-C3CF5778A5D5.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.83 MB ID:	547064

And I’m about to crack open the first Shiner!
    Last edited by ecowper; August 11, 2018, 12:57 PM.

Looking good man! I am no stranger to the Bachelor dinner! I would love to see some pictures of the Hasty-Bake in action too. (I have only ever seen shots at the grate.)

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll grab some shots of the firebox set up for you

Here you go Spinaker .... next time I willl take pics all the way through prep and getting the fire going

The "cool" side of the HB ... notice the open vent, which enables convection airflow
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E627CCD5-2AAE-4F49-8359-D7D563445DB1.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	547083Click image for larger version

Name:	B9DA3F9F-D6E3-495A-BD70-A429E23BF8F1.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	547082

The firebox side of the HB .... vent here is open, too .... so it pulls air from hot to cool side and lower to higher, creating a convection effect

Name:	31C30937-0842-4146-86AB-5516BD21E157.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	547085

Inside the firebox .... I have a water pan at the far end, then unlit charcoal, then lit charcoal. To get 6 hours cook time at 240F, I use 1.5 chimneys of charcoal. I put the unlit from the water pan back towards the door. Then I put my wood at the edge of the unlit charcoal. When the lit charcoal is ready, I dump it in the gap at the door end of the firebox.

Name:	D803A4F7-C69D-474A-9A74-3377ADDBB329.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	547084

And then I put the heat deflector on ....helps keep my grate temp stable.

Name:	BFCDD6BD-A53E-4296-9013-A8B5B8330A5A.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	547086

Comment

Man, you know how to treat yourself well!

Comment

This is sweet! I really want to get one of these. They look like a blast to cook on. I had no idea that there was a convection action to the cooking chamber. Does the food cook faster as a result of this convection action? Also, is it possible for the drippings to reach that deflector plate?

Thanks for posting all of this.

Comment

That sounds like a winning combination all the way around! Enjoy the solitude while you can.

Comment

Spinaker I find that the convection primarily means I have fewer cold and hot spots on the grate. The whole indirect side is the same temp, or pretty close. The deflector plate is directly below the hot side of the grate, nothing in between. You could get dripping on the deflector, but you’d have your meat on the hot side .... the hot side is a solid 75F hotter right now than the cold side.

Comment

Name:	din din 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	547119Click image for larger version

Name:	Din din 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	547120 We're doing the same cook and side dish to have with friends this evening.
              Last edited by CaptainMike; August 11, 2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                SLC ribs and macaroni salad are a winner everytime! Don’t forget the beer :-)

Spinaker a shot to give you an idea of where the hot/cold zones are, the firebox, etc.

You can see that a rack of SLC will lap over into the hot zone. I’ll have to turn those in another hour, or so, to avoid overcooking one end of the rack.

Name:	87F34CB7-041B-4B8C-9697-3C1FF3C142EB.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	547107

Comment

Wow, your fam goes away & you start eatin high off the hog, pun intended. Then, when they get home you get to look forward to brats & burgers? Call em up, see if they can’t stay away an extra day or two & some of us may come over to hep ya. 🕶
                Eat that is. And don’t forget, a rodeo my hang in the balance.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m sure Karyn is more than happy to avoid the rodeo! Come on over my friend, there’s gonna be plenty

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree!! Sounds like we all need to do a road trip the WA!

Lookin' very good.

Comment

Great writeup an tutorial, very interestin an informative, brother!
                  Food is lookin great, enjoy yer day!

Comment

Yup, great thread, and cool to see photos of hhe HB in action, with explanations. I’ve always had a good eye towards the HB. And a big plus on the shiner bock. Go Texas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here