Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just got delivery of 4 racks of kurobuta ribs from SRF. Recommended cook recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got delivery of 4 racks of kurobuta ribs from SRF. Recommended cook recipe?

so just got these ribs and will be cooking them tomorrow Typically I follow the Johnny Trigg method 3-2-1 with wrapping in foil with brown sugar, parkay , honey, tiger sauce. But these guys are kinda small (whoever it was that mentioned they would be small --you were right! but no shiners that I can see.). BGE large with cherry and peach wood chunk added. any suggestions on the cook?
    Last edited by Jon Liebers; August 10, 2018, 10:30 AM.

If they are on the small size and are baby backs, they should get done way sooner than 6 hours. I personally only do one rack wrapping with butter/sweetener (kids like it) and the rest I go nekkid. We prefer the increased smokey flavor and want to taste the pork, especially if it's a heritage breed of pig.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      these are spares but my first experience with kurobuta, I would say they are maybe slightly larger than baby backs but not by much

I’ve done these a few times. Keep it simple. Salt, rub, smoke at 225-250 until pull back. Could be as soon as 4 hours.

There isn't a lot there, each rack is one serving in my house. But they taste pretty good.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      no wrap?

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. No wrap. Let ‘em cook. I use a BGE for mine, they do just fine. You’ll have the usual fear about them never getting tender, and then all of a sudden they’re tender. You can spray them with cider and vinegar every once in a while, if you want.

Originally posted by Jon Liebers View Post
    so just got these ribs and will be cooking them tomorrow Typically I follow the Johnny Trigg method 3-2-1 with wrapping in foil with brown sugar, parkay , honey, tiger sauce. But these guys are kinda small (whoever it was that mentioned they would be small --you were right! but no shiners that I can see.). BGE large with cherry and peach wood chunk added. any suggestions on the cook?
    I believe it was Potkettleblack . Maybe he'll have some ideas for you.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, just sent him a PM

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      If I get em again, I’m gonna try a SVQ. But I’m unlikely to buy em again, because they aren’t as satisfying an eat as I think ribs should be.

My tastes have been changing as of late. I have really been getting into a much more simple flavor profile as far as rubs are concerned. So, I say, let the smoke and that succulent meat come through. To me, anybody can slap a sugary rub or a glaze on some ribs, but the real challenge lies in bringing that perfect smoke profile to the meat. IMHO.

For the reasons above, I would go simple. Salt and Pepper, maybe some granulated garlic. You paid all that coin for premium meat, let it and the smoke come through. Just my two cents.........

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm the same way, and have been for a while now. Does occasionally cause friction with the audience though.

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen brother!

The last time I cooked ribs I did 2 racks of SRF and two racks from Costco. The ones from SRF definitely cooked much faster than the regular racks. You can probably plan on about 4 hours of cooking. Keep the rub/sauce simple and I wouldn't wrap these with honey, parkay, etc. If you do need to wrap them I would maybe just give them a very light brushing of sauce or even just a spritz with apple juice.

Comment

I've cooked these and ended up with pork jerky with bones. Last rack I did rib blasphemy. I seasoned a stock pot with beer and my rib seasoning, steamed that rack until done then grilled it off. Tasty little beauties that way.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        This is basically my thought with three Berkshire rib cooks under my belt. Gotta do something wet and gentle before smoking, due to the bone structure or the cutting.

I'm with Troutman forget all the sugars honey and other stuff. Season and smoke until done. Brown sugar and honey have their purpose but putting them on quality meat is not one of them imo.

Comment

ok so did the ribs on the large BGE Saturday. cooked at 220-225 about 4 1/2 hours total. I used cherry and apple wood for smoke. I did wrap after 2 hours as usual and I have to say they came out very tasty.
        I did have one real problem and that was removing the membrane. I have removed membrane many many times and I just have to say on these it was just impossible. I don't know why but I couldn't remove it without mutilating the meat so I left it on
        and that was the one thing that was noticeable tuff when the cook was done. Fam wasn't used to biting through that stuff so while it really wasn't a big deal and didn't affect the tenderness or taste , but it certainly bugged me.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the same experience, I got 2 out of 4 the last time. The other two I gave up and cut and scored them.

• Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          that's what I did to all four!

next up are the wagyu ribeyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Liebers View Post
          next up are the wagyu ribeyes.
          Nice! I have 4 of them in the freezer took one out and held it to my bosom yesterday. Thinking next weekend they will meet the fire.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here