Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt BGE Pit temp - If I set my grate temp for 250-275 is that to high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt BGE Pit temp - If I set my grate temp for 250-275 is that to high?

I would like to use meatheads recipe, salt brine and Memphis Rub but set up the cook early AM and avoid an overnight cook.
    Setting at 250 Grate temp would be about 1.5 hrs per lb vs 225 grate at 2 hrs per lb. Would there be any issues in using a higher temp?

Not on pork butts you can go higher if you wish

Comment

Not at all, pork butt can handle it. In fact you can go up toward 300-325 if you choose. You'll get killer bark that way if you like a hardy bark. Also, cook time depends more on thickness than a per-lb rate. Take notes, and you can use the data on future cooks for timing.

Comment

Never! You can almost cook it at any temp rapture below 350 and still get ood results. You will probably start getting less smoke ring over 300.

Comment

I was mainly concerned with the sugar content in the rub resulting in a bitter tasting bark. If I could set it at 275 grate then I could speed up the cook.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. If you stay below 350 you should be ok. ~350 is where sugar starts to burn with enough exposure. You can maximize your cook speed by going 300, but 275 will help some too.

Thanks, so to confirm, if I set my grate temp at 275-300 I should be ok.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. You will be fine at those temps.

I don't know about reflective heat from meat being too close to the dome, but if you're in the center-ish of your cooker you should be in mighty fine shape at those temps. Something I like to do is cut my butts down to 3-5lb chunks instead of large 8-9lbers. This gets more rub exposure, more smoke exposure, more bark in the mix, and sometimes even helps speed up the cook.

Comment

You will be more than fine at those temps. The higher the temps the easier you will cruise through the stall period. I would not worry very much about heat from the dome. Remember to always cook by temp and not time. Especially in a Kamado, cook times can vary widely across the board.

Comment

250-275 is my favorite low and slow temp!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Comment

Set the 6.5 lb butt on the egg at 8:00 am and pulled it at 2:30 pm. Grate temp was at 300. FTCed for 3 hrs prior to pulling
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here