Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rack of Pork- What's the best way to cook it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack of Pork- What's the best way to cook it?

We are defrosting a seasoned rack of pork (bones are in) bought a few months ago at Costco. Should I cook it at 350 or higher on the gas grill or smoke it on the WSM or the PBC? The package says to cook in the oven at 350, but the oven is not an option (what fun is that?). Any advice is appreciated.

We've done two ways...one in the smoker after searing and one over open flame (charcoal and wood chunks). The open flame was the best because it bubbled and crisped the fat surrounding the loin and made the bones beautiful with some charring. The loin inside was perfect and just about medium rare (protected by that darling fat). We had also marinated that one in Italian dressing.

Comment

Just did one from SRF a week or so ago. Did the whole thing on the stick burner Ran it at about 250/260 spritzed with a apple juice mix every half hour or so hitting the ends with a little extra so they wouldn't get overdone before the middle of the roast was ready. Didn't need to sear as I got a nice crust to form from the spritz.

Served it with some glazed pineapple and a little extra Swine Apple glaze. It was juicy and it was awesome!

Click image for larger version

Name:	prime pork.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	542363

Comment

I have made a few of these. First was two racks formed into a crown roast of pork. I smoked this at 225*, after dry brining for 24hours and then rubbing with Simon & Garfunkel rub. I know yours is preseasoned. I let it rest for some time then finished with a sear on the gasser to crust it up just a bit.

I also smoked a single rack, same process but just no crown form. Both were wonderful!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by barelfly; August 3, 2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• danniiblack
          danniiblack commented
          Editing a comment
          These are very nice looking!

Same answer as my esteemed colleague above, I bring it to 140* internal .... moist and delicious !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	87ECE15F-1D2C-43FA-99A9-0C88BEC4CD1B.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	542438Click image for larger version

Name:	21D106D7-BE8C-4885-80AE-C52733162F27.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	542437

Comment

I have done 2 in the last 6 months. First one was flat the second one was "crowned". Dry brined overnight and then Memphis Dust right before starting the cook. Did both on a Performer with SnS at 275-300 to internal temp of 140. The "crowned" roast was less evenly cooked than the flat roast. Both were moist, excellent pig candy! I seldom see this cut at COSTCO or elsewhere unless it is Xmas or Easter time. I did have one cut at a local purveyor and he charged me double the COSTCO price.

Comment

The best way to cook it is how you like it best. The directions on the package are for folks cooking in their kitchen, and the simplest way to get the job done in decent time, as in getting home and eating it for dinner. Those directions are irrelevant.

You've got an arsenal of cookers to pick from, and can cook it any way you'd like. You bought it, you break it. I cook almost everything indirect, and as low and slow as I can, and that's how I always make pork. But there's something to be said about doing it the old way - the way I used to do it before I complicated everything - right over the coals, open grill, flipping away.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here