Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you normally cook you baby backs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do you normally cook you baby backs?

OK, I have read how long you should cook baby back ribs, but I want to know how long YOU cook your baby backs. The reason I ask is because, even though what I have read says 3 to 4 hours at 225, I find myself having to cook them closer to 5 or 6 hours before I get them up to temp (around mid 190s). I use two thermometers when I cook, so I know I am very close to 225, but it sure seems like I have to cook them longer than I would expect.

5-6 on a big rack.....maybe I got teenbacks.....not sure

Comment

I don't check temps on BB ribs. I cook usually 4, 5 at MOST. Did some STLs this last week a little over 5, wrapped for about an hour and a half, then put them back on to firm up unwrapped for an hour. Too long, if you ask me. I think I'll do 2/1.5/1 or so next time.

Comment

5 hours on the LBGE has always worked (225-250F); 4 hours on the KBQ (same temp range).

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope I don't end up adding a BGE to my arsenal just for maintaining temp in winters. I'll need a bigger patio..

Although I've been accused of cooking trimmed spare ribs, not BBR's, I'll still chime in and say it depends on the cooker and the weather, and the moisture content of the meat. So there is no real good answer, other than getting to know your smoker well and accepting how it performs, then try controlled tweaks.

Sometimes it gets hot here, sometimes really hot, and sometimes it's scorching. I'll get back to this during the NFL playoffs.

Comment

• Mtbell001
          Mtbell001 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, you don't have long to wait. I think the first pre-season game is tonight!

Thanks for the responses. I use a Kamado Joe for my ribs, and judging by what you folks are saying, it sounds like I am not too far off on my time. I plan on doing a couple of racks again this weekend. If I remember, I will post the time and results of that cook. You folks have a good one!

Comment

Mine usually go 4-5 cooking at 250 or so. When the color is good, I lay one rack on top of the other and put a temperature probe between the two racks. When it reaches 195-200, I call it good and it pretty much always is.

Comment

Mine are never done in 4. Usually 5 or more. Time before last, I had to go 6 and they were still a hair under perfect. Ambient temps and wind likely played a difference. I also cook 2 racks at a time.

Comment

An actual baby rack of ribs might only go 3 to 4 hours. Most of the racks sold in the stores are back ribs, not baby back ribs.

Comment

What Jerod says is right .... you are mostly buying back ribs at the store, not baby backs. They are often cut with a lot of loin meat on them. I find that if the slab of ribs is over 3 lbs, they take me about 5 hours at 240'ish on my Hasty-Bake or my WSM. 3 lbs, or a bit under, then it's more like 4 hours.

Comment

I am usually at 4-6 for baby backs.

Jus curious.....have you tried smoking some St. Louis Style ribs? They are much more uniform and I think they smoke up better. Just a thought.

Comment

• Mtbell001
                    Mtbell001 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven't tried the St. Louis ribs yet. I am sure that's coming soon! I'm still experimenting with the BBRs right now. Thanks for the tip.

I apply the rub the night before then put them on my large BGE at 225 for 4 hours, apply sauce, cook another hour then serve. Hasn't failed me yet.

Comment

• Mtbell001
                    Mtbell001 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I normally dry brine mine for at least a couple of hours before I cook them, but usually wait to put the rub on. I am doing some this morning. I think I will put the rub on at the same time as the salt and see what happens.

PBC, 3 racks hanging 3.5 to 4 hours.

Comment

On my BGE at 225 they take about 5 hours and St Louis ribs take about 6. If I bump the temp up to 275 it cuts about an hour off. Spinaker put me on to 275 and I like it better than 225. I have done them at 325 which Steve Raichlen recommends and they are still good - not fall off the bone and not tough - just tender with a little chew. At 325 your time will be cut again. Some folks direct grill them at 300. They are good but much more chewy. There is more that one way to cook ribs. The cook time and finished product are your choice.

Comment

• Mtbell001
                      Mtbell001 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for you times / temps. That gives me some good info!

I think the consensus is closer to 5 or a little over than 4, which is where I’ve found things to be. I agree with the Spinaker, prefer St. Louis or whole slab even.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here