Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Cured Tasso (Cajun seasoned "ham")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Write up! Thank you for sharing this with us! Great color and thank you for using the calculator in your recipe. I bet that spice mix smells incredible!

Comment

• Anton32828
      Anton32828 commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't recommend smelling the spice mix --- it's really spicy! Lol.

Thanks for the recipe. Will have to make. The less store bought and more homemade the better! Made red beans and rice two week ago. Next time will use this recipe. Jambalaya and Gumbo and Dirty rice O'boy Love me some Cajun and Creole

Comment

Anton32828 glad to see you back on! I will definitely be making this one again, but it was overly spicy for the wife. I'll likely cut the cayenne some next time, but wouldn't change anything else.

Comment

• Anton32828
        Anton32828 commented
        Editing a comment
        White pepper is fairly hot too. So perhaps cut the cayenne and the white pepper both back a bit.

Man, the color on this is absolutely beautiful. I'm not big on spicy, but that bark/crust looks too good not to give this a try. Plus, this is the excuse I need to buy some Country Style Pork "Ribs" that I always turn my nose up at when they are BOGO.

Comment

• Anton32828
        Anton32828 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is spicy. You can start by cutting the cayenne and white pepper in half if you're not into spice. It's a "seasoning meat," so the smoke and spiciness is supposed to transfer to the rest of whatever you use it in. I'm making a new batch myself --- starting the meat in the cure this weekend!

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking of doing just that once I saw 4 tsp of Cayenne. I know from experience that even if I'm "diluting" it into other dishes, that would likely make it enjoyably hot for me.

Really enjoyed your post. I want to reiterate that tasso is used like bacon but on average more sparingly. Typically, a little dab will do you! To much can overpower any dish. I typically purchase some and cut of a piece that goes into the dish. A hefty jerky size piece into one pot of beans will be too much.

Now, thanks to Anton32828 , I can try to make my own.

Comment

• Anton32828
        Anton32828 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks NapMaster! Let me know what you think of it when you make some! I could use some feedback from a Louisiana native.

This weekend’s batch is done. This time I bought a pork butt, de-boned and sliced it, and cured it for a week from Sunday afternoon to Saturday afternoon. I put the spice rub on and left it in the refrigerator to dry overnight. Smoked it Sunday morning on my new WSM with no water in the pan. One piece of the result wound up feeding the family that night in Tasso Cream Pasta & Shrimp.

Lessons learned: (1) Looking at YouTube videos is no substitute for hands-on butchering experience. I have a way to go before I get good at breaking down a pork butt. (2) WOW I should have bought a WSM sooner! This thing is so easy to keep steady, even running dry. (3) A second refrigerator in the house may be in order soon 🙄
      Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! Now you have me looking for a recipe for Tasso Cream Pasta & Shrimp! I still have one hunk of my Tasso in the freezer.

Congrats on the new cooker! I've window shopped for cookers for several years now, and the WSM 22 is starting to look attractive compared to a pellet smoker or my old offset, for those times the kettle+SNS just can't handle the cook.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        WSM rocks. I am on my second 18.5" and I love the thing. I didn't take care of the first one so I had to get rid of it, but I baby the "new" one. The wife says I take better care of it than I do of her.

Found this thread today and then pulled a two pack of pork butts outa tha freezer. Can't wait to try the final product. I wonder if letting it dry in the fridge for two - three days might fix the moisture problem?
      Last edited by 58limited; July 18, 2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, in reading this over, my thoughts were that dry curing with less salt might help and that if I do wet cure, letting the meat sit in the fridge for longer than a couple of hours might help.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I figure that using the recipe above: Its cured, the dry rub also has salt, thus I have no problem letting it set 48-72 hours - at least - in the fridge (I realize that the OP has time constraints due to travel). I'm also toying with using a dry rub for this and some bacon - researching recipes at the moment.
        Last edited by 58limited; July 18, 2020, 01:20 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here