Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adapting Meatheads Bacon recipe *GASP*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adapting Meatheads Bacon recipe *GASP*

I've followed Meatheads bacon recipe to a tee. I find it to be a bit too sweet and not peppery enough for my tastes. If I were to drop the maple or brown sugar down a bit, do I need to compensate with more water to keep the liquid ratio the same?

I don't think so. If you see to the right of the maple bacon recipe he talks about Canadian bacon, in that he just suggests dropping the maple syrup. No mention of adjusting the water amounts. I think the most important thing in the recipe is the kosher salt and prague powder.

-Alden

Comment

I've done Meathead's recipes for bacon (maple and canadian). I, too, found the uncut maple recipe too sweet. I cut the syrup in half and made no other changes. Bacon came out very nice with a good taste. Adding more pepper shouldn't be a problem. Here's pics from my smokes.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Bacon Canadian Bacon 01112015.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	54589
      Canadian bacon and maple bacon
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled at internal temp 150.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	54591 maple bacon

Comment

Thanks guys! I"ll just give it a little less maple in the next batch!

Comment

Have you tried using Maple Sugar? Less sweet, great maple taste. I use it in combination with brown sugar in my bacon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here