Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRF Kurobuta Berkshire Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRF Kurobuta Berkshire Ribs

Hi all!

For Mother's Day this year I did the SRF Kurobuta bone-in ham which was delicious, but also purchased some ribs which I'm doing this weekend. I have two racks of baby backs and one of the spares. The first impression of these things is, WOW they are tiny! They really are quite small. I'm ok with that as long as they are delicious, but I've never seen ribs like this.

I was curious if any of you have made these before and how long they take in comparison to normal ribs. Online I've found several confirming my thought that they would take a lot less time than normal, however some actually mentioned they took longer. The BB's are roughly 1lb per rack, whereas the ones from Costco are roughly 3lbs.

Regardless, I'm having a couple of friends over to bbq with me, so are probably going to through on some standard ribs as well for the sake of comparison. I'll post photos on Saturday.

Cheers!

I would say they could be done in as little as two 1/2 hrs. But you should be diligent in checking the temp of the ribs. In the loin meat, you will be able to get a pretty accurate temp to see if they are done yet. The higher fat content will also allow them to cook faster.

Comment

• SipIt
      SipIt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, that's kind of what I figured, but when I say a couple other people mention they took longer than normal it threw me for a loop.

Being as I am in STL, I'm no stranger to BB's. Maybe a rack a week. but SMALL? It's the thickness, and BB's should be at least as thick as spares, and often are much more meaty on the bone than the spare ribs are. That's why they are a big deal. Below are four standard suspects when lining up BB's in STL.

Cooked low and slow true STL BB's take longer, a lot longer, than spares. If you have tiny baby backs, they are from a different species of livestock, or they are maybe a mislabeled cut? I haven't read the butcher's bible yet, so maybe someone more knowledgeable about dressing hog will chime in. What I believe may be wrong, but fake BB's to me are spares trimmed to be short like a BB, and the trimmings are sometimes packaged with tips and sold cheap. BB's are from a different area, maybe lower or higher on the hog, and aren't trimmed spares?

Click image for larger version

Name:	STL BB's.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	540959

Comment

• Butchman
      Butchman commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look like spare ribs to me.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      The cartilage? I had these cut with that left on for my dog...

I've smoked the SRF Kurobuta spares before. They were also on the small side. Indeed I found that they cooked faster than other spares I cooked before. Not sure if it was due just to the smaller size or the meat itself. Other racks of spares usually take me 6-7 hours on the smoke vault. The SRFs spares took 4-5 hours, and that may have been a bit too long.

Comment

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post
      Being as I am in STL, I'm no stranger to BB's. Maybe a rack a week. but SMALL? It's the thickness, and BB's should be at least as thick as spares, and often are much more meaty on the bone than the spare ribs are. That's why they are a big deal. Below are four standard suspects when lining up BB's in STL.

Cooked low and slow true STL BB's take longer, a lot longer, than spares. If you have tiny baby backs, they are from a different species of livestock, or they are maybe a mislabeled cut? I haven't read the butcher's bible yet, so maybe someone more knowledgeable about dressing hog will chime in. What I believe may be wrong, but fake BB's to me are spares trimmed to be short like a BB, and the trimmings are sometimes packaged with tips and sold cheap. BB's are from a different area, maybe lower or higher on the hog, and aren't trimmed spares?

Name:	STL BB's.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	540959
      I'll post photos, but they are ridiculously tiny. These are nothing like your photo or what I'm used too. They are supposed to be really tasty though.

The baby backs are 1lb and do not have the typical thick meat on them. Then Spares are 2lbs, have more meat to them and they are still what I would consider small and not overly thick. I don't know about the rules on posting links to other websites, so I think I'll skip that route at the moment.

Comment

I have cooked em. SRF Kurobuta spares are much smaller, and do finish a bit quicker. I would not say ridiculously faster but faster. Dang good eating too!

Name:	IMG_3440.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	540968

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks like a Blues Hog finish to me

• SipIt
          SipIt commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! Thanks, I can't wait until Saturday.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I want to grab one of my neighbors piglets, dress it and stick it in your barrel. (I'll offer to pay him, if he catches me...)

I have made probably 10 racks of the spare ribs over the last couple years. I have seen them range from 2-3 lbs per rack so they are much smaller than regular ribs. Never tried the baby backs, just the spares. They are very good and have a great flavor and texture.

Once you have them all rubbed and sauced though I am not sure you will notice a huge difference between those ribs and ones from Costco. They are better but not a ton better. I will still buy them when they are on sale though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here