Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuffy Stone's Mustard & Rosemary Crusted Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuffy Stone's Mustard & Rosemary Crusted Pork Butt

On Friday, I made the best pork butt yet on the PBC. Used Tuffy Stone's mustard and rosemary crusted recipe from his new book. Basically two types of mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic, rosemary,honey, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. I smothered the butt the night before. But then worried all night long that the sauce would drip off during the cook and put out the coals. I used a couple paper towels in the morning to remove some of the sauce. Butt went on at 7:45 after using fzxdoc's lighting method. I used a extremely full basket of KBB and this is probably my fifth or so smoke after following her instructions for installing a lid gasket. The PBC went over 13 hours on the one basket of coals. I'm an hour west of DC, the temps were about 90 during the day and there was a thunder storm for about a half hour in the afternoon. After about 5 hours, I put additional sauce on the butt. After 13 hours, I pulled the butt apart without letting her rest. Absolutely the best butt I have ever had. The family devoured it without adding any bbq sauce to it. Sorry about the photos, they seem to upload with a mind of their own and are in no particular order. The dip in the Thermoworks Smoke graph is from when I unplugged it due to the storm.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bigbird; July 29, 2018, 06:03 AM.

That pork butt looks delicious, hanging in the PBC, bigbird . It followed a nice temperature curve, getting to probe tender with what looks like only a small stall. It also looks as though the spices clung nicely to the pork.

Did you add any wood to the PBC?

Congrats on such a perfect cook!

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn, I added two chunks of cherry and one chunk of apple before adding the pork following your lighting instructions, which I always follow.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the additional info, bigbird . I really want to try this recipe. You made it look so delicious in that "almost done" shot in the PBC.

K.

Love me some mustard, but would have to substitute Thyme for the Rose.....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here