Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

more bacon questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more bacon questions

my butcher over ordered pork belly side for me. any downside to freezing part of it before curing it? dont have to buy it, but if i can preserve it a while i thought i would help him out. what i picked up last weekend is already curing.

You should have no issues. Just make sure that you freeze in an airtight bag. Freezer burn is the enemy.

Or you could just make more fresh bacon. I mean, no one ever said, "we have too much bacon!"

Comment

Then again, you can cure it all, freeze the bacon and have it ready to eat upon thawing. Either way works.

Comment

Shouldn't be any problem freezing it. Often, when we pick it up from certain butchers, he gives it to us frozen.

Comment

Shouldn't be any issues freezing before thawing and curing. I usually buy as much as my smoker can hold and cure/smoke it all and then freeze it. But freezing ahead of time shouldn't have much of an adverse effect assuming you seal it up well.

Comment

No problem freezing it before curing. I pick and choose the nice thick bigger (5#) center cuts at Sam’s and freeze them until I have 4 or 8 good ones then do as a batch. Works fine!

Comment

If you're make'in bacon anyway, do the whole thing and freeze what you can't use right away. Easy Peasy.

Comment

thanks everyone

Comment

I vote make a ton of bacon and freeze the cooked bacon.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hard to wrap cooked bacon around a fillet or an ABT... 🤔

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think he means freeze the SMOKED bacon. It's cooked to 150F when we do it technically...

what little space i have in my fridge is already full of curing bacon or i would go ahead and do it. would have to remove beer to make more room. nah.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What you need is another fridge. One for beers and one for bacon. 👍

• dahcopilot
                    dahcopilot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    i already have 2 large fridges, one and a half for my wife, one half for me

Then you obviously need one more! It would only be fair! 😁

Comment

• dahcopilot
                    dahcopilot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    then my wife would have 2 1/2

When I first saw this title I thought : What question could there possibly be with more bacon? I rest my case.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here