Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After the Butt is done - What then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the Butt is done - What then

I usually dry rub pork butt then smoke it in the Trager. It turns out really great. Sometimes I also wrap part of the way through then bend in dripping after pulling the pork. My question is after the pork is pulled what is the best way to treat it, season it, etc. to enhance the flavor. I have seen people blend in more dry rub or add other stuff. Any suggestion on how to enhance pork after it is pulled?

Little more salt maybe and some Carolina Gold mustard bbq sauce for me!!!

Comment

Toss in some vinegar mop (some call it finishing sauce). The Lexington Dip recipe in the recipes section is a good one. Or you can mix in some Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce. Or you can separate and strain the drippings if you wrap and mix those back in with some rub or above dips. I love the drippings because it has a nice smokey flavor that’ll help "season" some of that interior meat which the smoke never penetrates.

Comment

You need a nice thin sauce to put a light coat in the pork. Just enough to cover... Not too wet.

Comment

I usually don't do anything, as we will use left over pulled pork in many ways (tacos, potato toppings, salads, etc), and serve a BBQ sauce and a NC style vinegar sauce on the side. Blues Hog red is great, so is the NC style from The BBQ Bible. This one seems to be close to what is in my very dog eared copy of The BBQ Bible:

This recipe for Vinegar Sauce goes great with Smoked Suckling Pig and Vinegar Slaw. Recipe from Episode 212 of Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke.

Comment

All th above are great methods, an will yield fantastic results...
          Reckon, way I look at it, is what is th pork's destination(s)? BBQ, plated or sammiches? Pulled pork tacos? Chili?
          Any final seasonins, even upon reheat from fridged/frozen, would be based upon my intent fer th meal at hand, I reckon...
          Jus season it fer the flavour profile of yer intended dish...

Comment

When I eat pulled pork, I want it to taste so good that I don't want to add anything else. And if I do add anything, it must take it up another notch. And as others have said, it depends on the end use. If you must add something, just add it to the amount you will be eating at the current meal. That way you won't be using the wrong sauce/rub for a different dish that uses your pulled pork.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen to this. I really feel that well smoked pork, assuming you put a good rub on it, and smoked it properly, can usually stand on its own. I always serve sauce on the side, for those that want it.

I some times mix some of my rub in.

Comment

I sometimes mix in a bit of Mae Ploy Sweet Pepper Sauce - not too much. A nice variation.

https://www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Bran...r%2Bsauce&th=1

Comment

Dunp the Au Jus from the foil all over the pork, that is the best thing you can do. And make sure not to pull the pork until you are ready to serve, it will dry out like crazy if you pull and let it sit, uncovered.

Comment

best way to prep it to put up for fridge or freezer is to cook down the drip to concentrate it. if you don't have drip, just mix some gelatin with your BBQ sauce or spice rub and cook it to melt the gelatin. then, put a bit of the gelatin mixture into the bags with the meat for storage. then, when you reheat the meat, they will be nice and juicy without being watery or greasy. This is MARVELOUS in a vacuum sealed freezer bag. you can then pop it in the hot tub time machine at about 170 and you have meat that tastes nearly as good as fresh off the smoker.

Comment

• Chuck in Charlotte
                    Chuck in Charlotte commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Karon, I'll have to try the gelatin-in-the-sauce method. Does the gelatin keep it from freezing solid and breaking the protein sheaths open, or does it just add some unctuousness?

• Karon Adams
                    Karon Adams commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yes, if freezes and it would look like gelatin when it thaws. but, it does keep the meat nice and unctuous. keeps the meat moist without it being watery or greasy. it is wonderful. if you ever have meat you have put in the fridge and you need to reheat or some you bought at a store, a little gelatin will freshen it up nicely

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here