Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to cook more than 3 racks of ribs on an 18” kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cook more than 3 racks of ribs on an 18” kamado

I’m cooking for 6 instead of my usual 2 this weekend!

Anyone have a good strategy for mulitiple racks? (aside from the standard horizontal rib rack)

Rib pinwheels is an option. I don't have a photo to share, but I'm sure someone will come along with one. Hold each rack on its end, bend each rack into a wheel, ends touching overlapped to fit, and secure them with skewers or toothpicks to hold that wheel shape. You can fit far more on a grate when they're on end than flat on a the grate.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Works the charm!

I think I could probably fit 3-4 racks on rolled this way - do you think this is a superior method to using the classic rib rack (everyone seems to complain about ribs flopping over and touching in those racks)

this is one seems to be a little better - looks like the higher racks would prevent floppage - any thoughts?

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a nice-looking rib rack. It keeps the ribs off the grate and supports them well. Much better design than the other racks shown on the same Amazon page. If I ever need one, I'll be looking into that.

Kathryn

Worth a try. You definitely want to prevent them from flopping as much as possible, looks like this rack might be good for that. I've never been a fan of rib racks personally, but that's because I like to put a layer of brown sugar on mine and it would all drip off if I laid my ribs any way but flat.

Comment

Standing them up is best the most i can get on mine is 4, the extender rack helps a little bit. I have a weber rib rack the problem with the rack is your grill diameter shrinks as you go thru the sections on the rack but the rib length stays the same so you would have to loose part of your slab to make them fit. Any section that hangs over the deflector plate edge will burn it you don't cover it with foil
      Last edited by customtrim; July 24, 2018, 01:42 AM.

Comment

I was experiencing the same issues with my 18” Kamado. My solution was to buy a PBC

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmmm, $20 for Raichlen's Rib Rack or $300 for a PBC. MCS logic says to go with the PBC! Wise choice, smn1285 .

K.
          Last edited by fzxdoc; July 24, 2018, 06:35 AM.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I was going to be a wise guy too, and tell him to get a KBQ with 4 racks in it standard.

With stacked grates and cutting racks in half I can get four racks. That’s about where it maxes out.

My advice is to buy one of those really cheap square charcoal grills at a big box store for about $35. They are cheap, but huge, and you can do probably six or eight racks in a rib rack, indirect, using a brick to separate the coals.

Edit: $24 at Walmart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	335B2365-BE87-4AC9-ADC3-0C5E8039E9E6.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	537128
        Last edited by Mosca; July 24, 2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

The racks below are fairly cheap and you can use two - one on each end. I'm guessing that you could also angle them so that the racks will curve around the inside of the cooker. This is not my idea - someone else here posted the link in another thread:

Comment

I think you have three options. Roll them which I have never done. Or, stand them on end in a rib rack. Or, get a second level grate and lay them flat with two on each lever. Babybacks fit easier than St. Louis or spares. Which are you planning for?

Comment

I have this one that I like. I have had issues with the side by side racks in the past. Most do not allow the outside of all the racks to set correctly.

Comment

Give the rib coil a try! Here is one on my KJ Jr.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamado Joe Jr. :Rib Coil:Raw.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	537175

Comment

• Breaktheory
                Breaktheory commented
                Editing a comment
                How many rolled racks can you fit onto that joe jr?
                If I stuff mine in I could probably get 4 but they would be crammed into each other

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I have done 3. I use smaller skewers when doing that though. Breaktheory

you have discovered the "problem" with ceramic cookers, real estate! I've had the same issues . I use a extender and squeeze two on the main grate and as best I can, two on the extender. May require some butchering to fit too. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by smn1285 View Post
                I was experiencing the same issues with my 18” Kamado. My solution was to buy a PBC
                What’s a PBC 🤔

Comment

If only it was stainless steel.

Best regards,
                Jim
                Last edited by jgg85234; July 24, 2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Personally, I sometimes have the ribs hitting the edge of the cooker when using a rib rack on my 22" Weber Performer. I for sure would have to cut ribs down to fit many even on edge in a 18" cooker. I think I would try the pinwheel thing to fit 4 racks on there. The thing to be aware of with the ribs on edge, whether in a rack or rolled, is that the top edge towards the dome cooks faster than the edge on the grate, due to the vertical temperature gradient. If using a rack on my Weber kettle, I always flip them about halfway through the cook, end to end, so that the edge that was up is now down to the grate.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here