Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better results with meaty baby back tibs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better results with meaty baby back tibs

Cooked a couple racks of baby backs tonight. I've been struggling with baby backs lately, especially when the loin section is extra meaty. The meat has been coming out dry when the rest of the rib was done. So I tried wrapping the ribs in foil after about 4 hours at 240 F. Cooked wrapped for about 2 hours, sauced, then finished with another hour in the smoker.

Net result was fantastic. Even in the thickest part, the meat remained moist and had a great texture. Tender but still wth a bit of a bite. Very happy with these results! I guess there is something to the old standby 3-2-1 method.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180722_183226.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.82 MB ID:	536374Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180722_184724.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	536375Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180722_184902.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	536376
    Last edited by theroc; July 23, 2018, 08:22 PM.

Thanks for the tip! I too never cared for the larger meatier backs, if it's 3lb or over per rack I pass. Appreciate the feedback on wrapping them.

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome. These racks were each about 3.4 lbs.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 3 pack of loin backs at Sam's when I couldn't find any spares to my liking. It dawned on me that since the thing I don't like about BBR's is the inconsistent thickness and lean loin meat, why not just trim off the stuff that I don't want to eat and won't cook the way I want? The results of my last 2 cooks have me reconsidering my dislke of BBR's.
    Last edited by Steve R.; July 23, 2018, 04:59 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I fillet them down too. The trimmings make a great stir fry for the cook!

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Hadn't even thought of that, Huskee. Good call!

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      I even cover the trimmings in rub and smoke and have as a snack part way through the cook.

I love the extra meaty baby back loin ribs and have always had excellent results. Always tender and juicy. I cook them around 250 on the stick burner and never wrap. Cook until the bend test says they are done usually around 5 hours. Also like them because the membrane is already trimmed off saving a lot of times.

Also when cooking for crowds which I often do they feed more people. I usually can figure 3 people per rack as I cut them in 3 bones per serving.

Comment

I’m in the trim camp. Makes a nice snack while you’re doing the cook.

Comment

so you did 4-2-1 for 7 hours total? Those must have been meaty!

I made some meaty BBR's yesterday to! 225 for 4 hours and 250 for 1.5 hrs. Temp on one side hit 203 and other side was 190ish, the bend test took quite a shake to crack em, cut em up and served, my guests loved em! Only one end rib left for lunch today, shoulda made more!

Comment

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          That's correct. 4-2-1. Should have mentioned that this was on my smoke vault 24. Not sure if it's the smoker, but my cooks always seem to take a bit longer. Monitoring cooker temps with a Fireboard that I'e verified for accuracy. I didn't actually test the rib temps when done.

NO kidding, 7 hours for baby backs is incredibly long in my experience. I don't wrap, but if I go 5h, they usually are falling apart, I even think they're overcooked and maybe dried out a bit sometimes. I have some inconsistent heat in my Yoder from one end to the other, though, so it makes it tough. I gotta do something to get better control on that thing...

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, for me 5 hours on the BGE, 4+ on the KBQ. But this is one of those YMMV kinds of things.

Yeah, it did seem long. I was going to wrap after 3 hours, but the ribs still felt very tight, so let it go another hour. Again, the ribs came out fantastic. Not overcooked - very moist in the thickest parts and with a great texture.

I put my ambient temperature probe towards the back of the smoker rack when I cook to stay out of the way of the meat. I suppose the front part may be a bit cooler, hence the longer cook times. May have to experiment a bit more.
        Last edited by theroc; July 23, 2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Great to hear that you made a break though! I pretty much just went to making St. Louis Style ribs so I would have to deal with that loin meat anymore. I like at SLS ribs cook more evenly that a baby back rib rack.

Comment

• theroc
            theroc commented
            Editing a comment
            I prefer spares, as well. But my wife loves baby backs, so I am bound and determined to figure out how to cook them well for her.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            A nobel cause, my friend. theroc

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife preferred BBRs, but since I don't buy em anymore, she's come around.

Maybe the fact I’ve historically done the 3-2-1 method is part of why I like the meaty BBR’s better, but when I did a taste comparison for the family, I did 3 racks Saint Louis spares and 3 racks of the meaty BBR’s, no wrap, on the offset with oak, with MMD and Blues Hog original. Family chose the BBR’s like unanimously. I kinda liked the spares but was outvoted. I took advantage of the uneven temp gradient across the offset to get them all done at the same time, with some rotation a few times.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here