Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Shoulder problems

I’m on a Kamado Joe and did my first pork shoulder at 250 for about 6 hours, hit 205 IT and was juicy and perfect. I crutched this one 4 hours I’m at 170 IT.

I did my second one yesterday at 275, same
    size no crutch - it went for 10 hours never got past 195 IT and was dried out when I finally pulled it! I never got the super soft tender probe I was getting on my first successful cook.

The differences aside from temp were that on Cook 1 i crutched at 170 about 4 hours in and on cook 2 I didn’t crutch and injected with sugar apple juice and bbq sauce

Anyone have any idea what went wrong?

Thanks!

Welcome from Indiana!

10 hours may not have been long enough especially if you didn’t crutch. Some butts can take much longer depending on a number of variables including size and thickness. A butt is done when it is done.

Never heard of using bbq sauce in the injection. I typically use an injection as a way to "quickie" brine the Butt and get salt and a little flavor into it.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit!!

I'm with Nate. It is done when done. I cook most of my butts unwrapped the entire cook with nothing more than a 2-3 day dry brine and rub.

Sounds like your second butt never really got done. It would take waaaaaaay longer to fully dry out a butt. Similar to ribs, if dry and not all that tender, wasn't ready.

Comment

Ah so my lack of patience is the problem!

If I had just let it ride to 203 IT you believe the collagen would have become gelatinous and tenderized the meat?

Im new to all of this so really appreciate the help

Comment

When I go unwrapped it's more like 16-18 hrs. I agree with the above, it seemed dried out most likely because it wasn't cooked long enough. The juiciness comes from the internal fat & collagen rendering out and this needs lots of time up at temp to happen. Crutching speeds this up by not letting moisture evaporate (sweat) out. Not crutching will take much longer because lots of the meat's water will sweat out and prevent it from rising in temp as fast. But it still needs that time up at 190+. If you pulled it at 195 (that's where I pull mine off the smoker when I go unwrapped, don't waste time shooting for 200+) and it seemed dry, you may have just need to let it sit there at 195 for another 1-2hrs. Then wrap it and do the faux cambro process for another 1-2hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Breaktheory View Post

If I had just let it ride to 203 IT you believe the collagen would have become gelatinous and tenderized the meat?
            Possibly. 200 my have done it. Lotta variables. Probe tender like butta is the best measurement.

Comment

I'm with the others who say it just didn't cook long enough. I had one yesterday that I put it in the kettle at 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, and finally gave up on 203 and took it out at 4 p.m. Saturday afternoon. It never got above 195 internal, but it was very probe tender when I checked it.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I agree with undercooked.

Comment

I’ve done many Boston Butts Bone-In on my Big Green Egg at 2:25 and have never wrapped unless I was in a time crunch. I routinely do 10 pounders, so my question is how large were the ones you did. Here’s the way they typically work for me. One hour to stabilize the cooker. Three hours to get the internal temperature to 160. Six hours more to get through the stall to 180, and another three hours to get to 200. I phone ull them off the cooker, double wrap them in foil, and place them in an ice chest with old towels for at least two hours and usually up to four. They aren’t dry and the bark softens some, but not as soft as wrapping them through the stall. Every piece of meat cooks differently. But, my description is typically what happens

Comment

Originally posted by Breaktheory View Post
                    I’m on a Kamado Joe and did my first pork shoulder at 250 for about 6 hours, hit 205 IT and was juicy and perfect. I crutched this one 4 hours I’m at 170 IT.

I did my second one yesterday at 275, same
                    size no crutch - it went for 10 hours never got past 195 IT and was dried out when I finally pulled it! I never got the super soft tender probe I was getting on my first successful cook.

The differences aside from temp were that on Cook 1 i crutched at 170 about 4 hours in and on cook 2 I didn’t crutch and injected with sugar apple juice and bbq sauce

Anyone have any idea what went wrong?

Thanks!
                    Wrapped meats cook faster
                    Your pork would have been moist if you had wrapped
                    There is nothing wrong with wrapping, foil is just a tool in your toolbox

Comment

Thanks for all the responses - Im going to let the next one ride - what threw me off was that the stall was at 195. I didn’t know meat could stall that high so just assumed I overcooked.

re: crutching - I’ve heard good things about peach paper and brisket so I ordered a roll - is it as effective as foil on pork?

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In my experience paper perhaps is a halfway point between foil and not wrapping at all. Saves some time but not as much as foil, may seem more like not wrapping.

sure paper works fine

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here