Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can I hold a pork shoulder after hitting 203

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can I hold a pork shoulder after hitting 203

I have a big family gathering after church tomorrow and I am doing pulled pork. I want to avoid the "oh crap, it isn't done" so I want it done ahead of time. The recipe on the site says to wrap it in foil and in the house oven and hold at 170. How long can I hold at 170 without it drying out. Does anybody have experience with this? Thanks

Wrapped very well at least 5-6 hours. Even tightly packed in a cambro it will be OK for at least 4-5 hours.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup

@redlightwronglanendy, Once The Butt Has Reached 203* F, Pulling Temp, You Should Be Able To Wrap It In Foil And A Bath Towel And Place It In A Faux Cambro, Cooler, For 4 - 5 Hrs Before You Pull It‼️
    Check The Temp, It And Moisture Should Be Fine‼️ 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍
    Eat Well And Prosper❗️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Yes, what Jarod said. And even if it starts to get close to 140 internal temp, just pop it back into the oven, bring the temp back up, then back into the cambro. If you made it at home, your guests will LOVE it!

Comment

All good advice, but knowing your time frame can get you the best recommendations.

Comment

Right hand, left hand, right hand, left hand, continue until able to hold.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Laughing my butt off

A very long time, indeed, if sealed up quite tightly, if maintained at proper holdin temps...

Comment

As you saw above, don't pull apart until ready to serve!

Comment

Some of the best pulled pork I ever made, and the longest hold time attempted, was about 5 hours at 150 in the oven.

Comment

• OSB
                OSB commented
                Editing a comment
                It can take on almost a gelatin texture. They come out juicy, moist and the bark doesn't suffer too bad. It is easier to shred as well with a proper faux cambro rest. Makes getting the food done on time no problem as I always plan for at least a 3 hr rest with my pulled pork smokes.

I like to pull it, vacuum pack, and then freeze. Put vac packed in boiling water to warm and eat.

Comment

A LOOOOOONG time if help properly such as the warming drawer of your oven, or a cambrio/faux cambrio

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here