Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Boneless Pork Chops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Boneless Pork Chops?

I have around 3-4# of pasture-raised boneless pork chops. Wet brine or dry brine? Is the recipe I stumbled across on this site the winner or does anyone prefer to dry rub ( I found a good looking cajun/creole rub recipe on raddcooking.com)

Wet brine. Make sure the chops are THICK. At least 2 inches. Add cracked pepper, then smoke. Sear at the end. No sauce needed. If you want one, mustard based is the way to go. I like to combine spicy brown mustard, siricha, snd a bit of cider venigar.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya beat me by 4 minutes...

How thick are they cut? For a nice thick cut chop (1 1/2" or more), I would dry brine and then do a reverse sear like a piece of steak. Season gently (pepper and a little garlic &/or onion powder). Pasture raised hog should have plenty of great flavor on its own! Strong seasonings are for tasteless commercial pork! Forgo them in favor of enjoying the taste of a good piece of pork. Grill to 135-140 F. at the most. Good luck & enjoy!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup! Like a steak!

Can't go wrong either way really. My personal favorite for thick chops is wet brine in 1 gallon water, 1 cup table salt. Brine for 1 hour. Cut the brine amounts down equally if you don't need a gallon, but leave them to soak an hour. 1.5 to 2hrs if they're 2". Top woth any other favorite spices. I like garlic powder, course pepper and sometimes dried herbs. Then cook indirectly at 350-375, unless you're using a rub with sugar (like a rib rub) then only go 325. Take 'em to 140-145. No searing necessary when cooking hot like that, but you still can of course.

Comment

Thanks! They might be about an inch thick. I wish they were thicker but that's what I have. I"ll brine for an hour, smoke and reverse sear. What temp do you take them to before you sear them? 125?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a bad temp for your first try. Then you can adjust next time - because there will be a next time! Be quick about the searing, though.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Bing thin like that, Id pull at 120, as thin cuts heat up faster.

• TimmyR
        TimmyR commented
        Editing a comment
        Good call texastweeter...I'll do that!

Thanks! I finally found the recipe in main section of the site. I'll plan to brine for about 1 hour and smoke 'em to 125'ish and reverse sear...may throw some boneless chicken breasts on too just in case SWMBO does not like the chops (she's skeptical).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here