Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have made several batches of bacon recently.i would be curious to hear some other techniques.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have made several batches of bacon recently.i would be curious to hear some other techniques.

Attached Files

Which recipe do you use? Meathead has 3 nice bacon recipes if you're not already familiar with them. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...con-home-it-so

Comment

• The_Boucanier
      The_Boucanier commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, I'm not good about keeping track of this site obviously. For 60# pork belly I use 3 lbs. kosher salt, 1-1/2 cups tender quick, 96 oz brown sugar and 3-24oz bottles of cheap maple syrup. I cure for one week in the refrigerator turning daily. I smoke at 185 degrees to an internal temperature of 152.

Welcome to the Pit The_Boucanier from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Go to this thread to post where you work and what your hobbies are and get to know other members here. We are happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation. I just had some of my homemade bacon for breakfast, used the recipes Huskee linked

Comment

Welcome! What "other techniques" are you looking for? Techniques for bacon, for other things to do with pork belly or other things to smoke/BBQ? We’re here to try to help but need a little more info on what you’re looking for?

Comment

• The_Boucanier
        The_Boucanier commented
        Editing a comment
        I was looking for other recipes just to get some ideas.

Welcome to the pit! I'd stick with Meathead's three bacon recipes as posted by @Huskee.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

• The_Boucanier
        The_Boucanier commented
        Editing a comment
        I pretty well know what I am doing with regard to smoking, I have been doing it for over 25 years since before the internet mostly through trial and error and I bought a lot of cookbooks.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool, we look forward to learning from you!

Welcome to the obsessive world of bacon and to the Pit for all other things smoked. Not really a technique as an intentional wander, but I cured and smoked a boneless pork shoulder last week using the Maple Bacon recipe. (It was not photogenic, sorry). The best I can say is that it produced 'different' bacon - about half way between Canadian and streaked American. It certainly tasted like bacon though it was much leaner and chewier than belly bacon. The intramuscular fat isn't as strong , so it sliced in irregularly shaped slices. But at half the price of belly and with a butcher enthusiastically helping to find the right cut, its definitely found a place in the bacon section of my frozen pantry.

Ooooo. BACON.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing wrong with "Buckboard Bacon"! It's tasty too!

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Here’s my bacon recipe that I use most often .... it’s a riff on an NYT recipe I found.

For 3lbs of trimmed pork belly

3.5 grams Prague Powder #1
        4 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
        4 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
        2 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp minced garlic)
        3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
        3/4 cup distilled water
        1/2 cup dark maple syrup
        2 tbsp whiskey .... rye, bourbon, single malt

Cure the belly for 4-7 days, turning, and making sure the belly is always fully covered, at least daily.
        Smoke at 225-250 until the internal temp is at least 150 .... I usually go to 160.
        Slice, fry, eat

Comment

• The_Boucanier
          The_Boucanier commented
          Editing a comment
          I have added black pepper in the past but I have thought about bourbon so I might try that next. I usually do a case at a time in my smokehouse.

Do you bacon makers find that the probe placement is critical?

I'm new to makin' bacon, but I noticed that the meaty part of the belly reaches temp faster than the fatty bits.

i.e., if I put the probe in a meaty vein, it reads (x) but if I move the probe to a fatty vein it reads (less than x).

Concur? Disagree?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Can't say I ever noticed. But I'm just in it for the smoke and a modest cook - like 150F. I know it's going to get cooked some other way afterwards.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here