Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting the membrane off ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the membrane off ribs.

I usually buy Smithfield back loin ribs. Membrane comes off fairly easy on most racks. I just bought some ribs at Costco, not Smithfield, and had to scrape the membrane off. Thinking they were either too old or from old pig. Any thoughts will help.

Some have the membrane already removed. For those that have them, waaaaaaaaay easier post cook. I no longer bother pre-cook.

Comment

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah but then it removes all that delicious rub. Then you have bare, tasteless meat.

If the membrane has had time to dry out it is a fight to get off. (Tougher than trying to pull a $20 bill out of my wife's purse) As last resort if I can't get it off I slice it up and usually shrinks while cooking.
    Last edited by Ahumadora; July 19, 2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Most of the baby/loin back ribs from Costco already have the membrane removed. That's why you had trouble removing it in a single piece - it was already gone. I had that same trouble myself first time I got some of those.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        I've always had the darndest time removing something that wasn't there...  ​​​​​​

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I didn't find membranes on my Costco ribs.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I think every time I've gotten them at Costco, they have had the membrane already removed.

I Have Heard Of A Fish Skinner Being Used To Remove Rib Membrane❗️❓❗️ Does Anyone Have Anyone Have Additional Info, Source, Price Etc ❓
      Thanks, From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Still have to get it started. Once started, you can pull it with anything. Paper towel works as well as a fish skinner. OK if you already have one bit wouldn’t buy one just for this!!!

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        HorseDoctor yes a paper towel works great. I'll get it started at one of the end rib bones using the handle of a fork or spoon.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I use a butter knife around the middle of the rack, then the paper towel. Even though I do have nice small lockjaw pliers that would probably be even better - just hadn't thought of it til now.

just gotta hang in there
      after awhile it gets dang easy
      thumbnail to pop it up paper towel to grab it and pull it off
      when your good you can pull the outer membrane and leave the very thin inner membrane

Comment

I use the Smithfield loin back ribs almost exclusively nice and meaty. They already have the membrane removed. I still like to take the edge of a spoon and scrape the back side and rough it up a bit so things cook off better. It would also help with rub penetration I would imagine but i don't apply rub to the back side of my ribs.

That being said I can usually pull membranes off pretty easily using the paper towel trick that i'm guessing we have all seen.
        Beef ribs now that's a bit more of a struggle.

Comment

I learned here that if it's super hard to remove it's likely gone already. This knowledge has helped me avoid a lot of frustration, and led me to find peace within.

Comment

I like to use a Phillips screwdriver to pry the membrane up. Then it is just a pull or two holding on with a paper towel.
            Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 22, 2018, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Butter knife and a paper towel has always done the trick for me.

Comment

Thinking now it wasn't there at all. The Smithfields I buy at HEB always have one and it usually comes off fairly easy.

Comment

Costco's cryovac packaged BB's already have the tough membrane removed, you don't need to remove the thinner second membrane. If you see fresh ones (not cryovaced) that they have boned off the loin to make boneless pork loins, sometimes I've had them removed and sometimes not. Their St. Louis style don't have the membrane removed.

Comment

I just put some Duroc Baby Backs on the smoker, could only find a one inch strip of membrane about 10 inches long. Figured I had lost my touch.......googled Duroc BB and see they have membrane removed....whew!

Comment

I find it is much easier to get the membrane off if the ribs are at or close to room temperature. It is much harder straight out of the fridge.

Comment

Trader Joe's does the work for you too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here