Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing some bacon soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing some bacon soon...

Hey folks,
    I got myself some pork belly yesterday and plan on starting the cure later this week. I plan on following Meathead's recipe(s). I want to draw from your experience... Any tips or tricks you have learned along the way? Anything I need to be aware of going in?

Thanks! 😁

Measure twice and cut once. No, that's not it.
    Lefty loosie, righty tighty. Noooo
    The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. nope
    How about, follow the directions, eat good and have FUN!

Comment

Can't help with the recipe as I use Rhulman's recipe. I will say; do NOT skimp on the quality of your plastic bag(s) for curing. Zipoc (2 gal.) freezer bags are what you want. Keep the closure clean while filling so you geta good seal, or else it will get messy! Have fun and enjoy! Oh yea, the whole process may (will) be habit forming!!!

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Xandera_7 I am not sure how well the food saver will work with the bacon recipes here. They are pretty wet, and rely on the moisture moving around the meat, as you flip it every day. I've got a Foodsaver, but do not think I would use it for the bacon curing stage, just for packing it for the freezer after its smoked and sliced.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I like to use a large Cambro container that I use to make pastrami. It works great. No leaks!

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Xandera_7 Food saver will work fine. Just watch the fluid line and hit "seal" before it reaches the vacuum chamber. Might be a good idea to double seal unless you have a "wet" setting on your food saver.

I would make sure to go LOW and SLOW. There is a lot of sugar in the recipe and you don't want it to burn. So take your time, enjoy the aroma and marvel as your bacon turns into a lovely, lightly-charred, golden piece of heaven.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1287.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	533676

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, and I like to throw some Meat Church's Honey Hog or Honey Pecan Rub on the bacon right before smoking. It gives me more texture and a boost of flavor that takes it over the top, my friends. Rod JakeT Frozen Smoke Xandera_7

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker So is it standing on it's side? Or is it an optical illusion? The pic makes it look 5" thick!. I'm not a religious person, but if there is a heaven I hope it looks like that pic!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, I am flattered......but, yes, it is an optical allusion. It is resting fat down, just like I cooked it. I wish it was 5"inches thick. That would be epic! robsherri1
        Last edited by Spinaker; July 17, 2018, 09:20 PM.

Bacon is a pretty easy one to get right. I don’t think I’ve had a batch yet that has come out bad. There’s a bunch of fat and you’re not cooking it to 190-200ish like pork shoulder or a brisket or anything.

Just follow the steps and it’ll be good eatin!

I’ve made "a few" batches. I’m going on 250lbs or so this summer alone. 400ish lbs last year. People at work love it and have no problem buying it from me. Click image for larger version

Name:	7F27596A-9E17-47F2-BBB4-FFBF0C656D7F.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	533711

Comment

I just did this for the first time. Smoked it Sunday and we fried some up last nite. Followed Meathead's method with his simple recipe. Unbelievable and super easy. The only problem is slicing it by hand as I don't have a slicer.

Name:	IMG_20180715_202904.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	533718

Name:	IMG_20180716_205515.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	533719

Name:	IMG_20180716_210327.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	533720

Comment

For the first batch or two follow the recipe explicitly, but think about what flavor profiles you want down the line. I like mine a little less sweet and punch it up with garlic, onion, and chipotle powders. I also use hickory or mesquite for a smokier flavor.

Comment

Got about 9 lbs into the cure today (various flavors) - such good stuff.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh baby!

• xaugievike
            xaugievike commented
            Editing a comment
            we bought a whole hog....so theres another side of belly in the freezer too. save about 3 more lbs off this one for some burnt ends in the coming days.

You’ll never go back! You’re forewarned!

Comment

Name:	600532DD-8D79-468D-8EC0-A9D848C049AE.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	533793 Nice ! Finally going the bacon route! You’ll be hooked like I am. If you like maple bacon use maple sugar in place of the sugar. ( I haven’t looked at meatheads recipe so don’t know the quantities that he calls for) But usually I substitute maple sugar for brown sugar( if it calls for a dry cure) Sometimes glaze it when smoking as well. You can’t go wrong with making you own bacon. I’ve made a ton and prefer it to store bought. Only thing I don’t like is the slicer I have only does half a belly. So can’t do whole slices. Invest in a commercial slicer if your going to do it a lots. Makes for a long time slicing belly with a knife!!!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah... but half slices are perfect for a BLT!!! Tis the season!

• nsbbqguy
              nsbbqguy commented
              Editing a comment
              You can buy maple sugar at most grocery stores around home.

• nsbbqguy
              nsbbqguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep! Half slices are perfect for BLT’s!!!

Here's some bacon...

Name:	IMG_8274.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	533803

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh wow

• PappyBBQ
              PappyBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              wow

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks guys. It's crazy how the cure causes that red to develop in the meat. This pork belly actually had a lot more lean and less fat on it than the last one I cured.

Send the invitations out early!

Comment

Gorgeous

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here