Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Vermont Pig Candy for the first time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQRapper
    replied
    Hey Jon thanks, quick question what would you recommend for wood for these, I was thinking hickory
    Last edited by BBQRapper; January 18, 2015, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    AWESOME!

Leave a comment:

• BBQRapper
    replied
    Ok folks, here is the finished product but first the story.

Mr. Meathead, you recommended dark Grade B maple syrup so last week I treked north to NH in search of some. After visiting several sugar shacks that I know with no luck I visited a old moonshine friend of mine and bingo, he still have a gallon along with some recent product. I now had the syrup and fuel for the cook. Moral, next spring get a few gallons to put up so I don't have to listen to people saying " You want what? Hell we ran out of that months ago"

Started with six full racks of Sam's Club baby backs which were prepped and salted and kept overnight in the fridge. Come morning I was ready to cook but Old Man winter and the wind chill conspired against me and my COS which I could get to stay at 250 because of the wind and leaks, so off to the oven and a backup plan. Had to cut the racks in half to fit the oven so now there were 12 racks (fortunately I have two ovens), set up the ole 733 to monitor the temp and began cookin and sippin.

I must say making the glaze was an adventure. Never made any before and even on an electric stove it was intense so I can't see making this outside over a fire or do you recommend making this inside.

So what you are looking at are 10 racks here, one was immediately consumed by yours truly after the cook (for a total of three) and another was nabbed by your nephew. The rest are history and now I have to get to Sam's this morning to acquire two more packages to cook for tonight's Pat's victory party. Meathead thanks for the great recipe it was a load of fun making these.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Come on Steve, dont let that stop ya.

Seriously, looking forward to the pics.

Leave a comment:

• BBQRapper
    started a topic Making Vermont Pig Candy for the first time...

Making Vermont Pig Candy for the first time...

Making VPC for the first time today, however with the temp at 9 degrees and a wind chill of -4 I have to go with the electric oven. Will post pics later.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here