Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork, pulled pork and more pulled pork...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork, pulled pork and more pulled pork...

I've done nearly 300lbs of pork butts the last few weeks for grad parties in the month of June. Now 80lbs more going on the smoker today for a bean bag tournament I have been cooking for the last few years in Wisconsin. Plus doing a couple briskets on site Saturday.
    Here is a pic of the ones going on today. Just put them on the smoker a hour ago. I started to only put some rub on the fat cap and leaving the rest bare. I don't think pork butts benefit much from a rub on the surface during a extended cook. As the fat renders you lose the rub anyhow. I develop a bark through the natural process enhanced with spritz. I've done it this way the last few times and it seems to bear my theory out. I add rub after it's been pulled before I vac seal.

I will try to keep this updated as I go.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 butts.jpg Views:	1 Size:	398.9 KB ID:	530829

What? Wisconsin and no Brats!

Comment

That's a lot of pork to pull! I don't envy all the pulling you will be doing. Those sure look good and thanks for the thoughts on the rub.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        My hands are aching just thinking about that!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        pull the bones out and drop them in a sausage mixer. Pulls in seconds.

It takes a lot of rub to cover 80lbs of pork butts if you are laying it on heavy on all sides and then I found myself adding more after it was pulled. I'm not sure I even need it on the top. Plus i pan them with some dark beer in the bottom when they get to 160 or 170 or when I hear a lot of juices sizzling off the tuning plates. I hate to lose too much of those juices.
      The juices mix with the beer to add another flavor layer.

Rub is not cheap to make or buy I bet I'm saving 70% of the amount of rub I use by this method without any noticeable loss in taste or quality.

Comment

• Scout789
        Scout789 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm gonna have to try the beer trick! That sounds interesting.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I like beer

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        so you are just counting on the pellicle for the "bark"?

Things are moving along about 4 and a half hours in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10 pork butts smoking.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	530901

Still have a empty shelf on the smoker so I threw some red taters on for later. Rubbed in oil and seasoned with maple garlic rub and black pepper.

Name:	10 taters.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	530902

All smoked and ready to be cut up and thrown on the flat top to be eaten later.

Name:	10 done taters.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	530903

What the heck might as well throw some wings in the brine as long as I'm going to be tendin' the fire all day I might get hungry!

Name:	10 chicken wings.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	530904

Comment

Originally posted by Scout789 View Post
        That's a lot of pork to pull! I don't envy all the pulling you will be doing. Those sure look good and thanks for the thoughts on the rub.
        Not that bad actually the wife and I can usually do 70lbs or so in about a hour. Thats pulled vac sealed marked with weight and date and into the freezer. This should not take much longer.

Comment

Hey, can ya make me some pulled pork? I’m in Wisconsin.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
            Frozen Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Be happy too! If you're gonna cook for one Packer fan might as well cook for them all!!

Moving along the chicken wings came out of the brine and got seasoned with Gary Wiviott's BBQ rub from the Spice House. Different blend got some herbs and some heat. Then glazed with Blue Hogs Championship sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9 wings done.jpg Views:	1 Size:	520.6 KB ID:	531110

They were excellent! My son and I pretty much devoured those bad boys!

Then the butts started to hit their stride and they were ready to be panned. Poured some beer in the pan and back in the smoker. I do not cover them in the pan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9 butts panned.jpg Views:	1 Size:	324.4 KB ID:	531111

So a few wings and a couple beers later they started to get to the 205 to 210 mark. Ready to be pulled off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7 butts done.jpg Views:	1 Size:	535.5 KB ID:	531112

Click image for larger version  Name:	7.5 butts done.jpg Views:	1 Size:	408.1 KB ID:	531113

All pans got foiled and into the Cambro for a goods night rest! Be pullin' in the morn!

Click image for larger version  Name:	9 cambro.jpg Views:	1 Size:	178.9 KB ID:	531114

took about 12 hours to get the 80lbs done. The smoked taters are gonna get cut up in the morning and hit the flat top for some steak and eggs breakfast before the wife and I pull and bag!!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally awesome!!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Look at you with real deal cambros. I like !!! And oh by the way, you can keep the pork butt, I'll take those wings....yummy !!!

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Cutting edge stuff will gladly go to war with you any day.

Nice cook!

Comment

Wow. I feel humbled. Great job!

Comment

Troutman I got that set as you see it for $125 off Craigslist. I search catering or cater as keywords and NSF is another good keyword sometimes you can turn up gems like this.
              So on with the project! Lets get the pull started.

Bone falls right out.

Name:	let the pull begin.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	531388

Lots of juice in the pan that gets absorbed back in.

Name:	all that juice.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	531389

That juice was about a half inch deep. One pan pulled!

Name:	1 pan pulled.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	531390

Meant to post this earlier in the sequence. This is after just over 14 hours in the cambro. I love those things. The last thing I wanted to do after a 12 hours cook was have to pull 84lbs of butt. Nice knowing I can go overnight and it makes better product imo.

Name:	14 hours in the cambro.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	531391

So finally finished up. 46lbs all vac sealed and marked by weight. This way the customer only needs to open the bags they need they can freeze the rest.

Name:	46 pounds.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	531392

Comment

So where in Wisconsin is this bean bag toss? I'll show up if I get to eat some of that pulled pork! Looks delicious!

Comment

I don't like asking so you don't have to answer. How much do you charge? And how? By the pound? or...? I saw a place in southern VA advertising $30 per butt. No idea the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
                    I don't like asking so you don't have to answer. How much do you charge? And how? By the pound? or...? I saw a place in southern VA advertising $30 per butt. No idea the weight.
                    First off I don't do this for a living. I just enjoy doing it. If somebody just wants pulled pork and nothing else I charge $5.50 a pound of finished product. If it'a a event like a wedding or a grad party where I have to cook on site I source all the food that i'm cooking or providing and if the food bill is $500 I charge that much to cook it and then add a premium on top of that to cover things like rubs. wood for the smoker gas for the propane steam table etc. Like I said i don't do this for a living.

I do this for friends or friends of friends etc. I don't advertise and I don't go around presenting myself as a caterer. Most of the times I'm just cooking meats and sides are provided by guests.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks. Just wondering as I've done a few cooks for friends. Charged them the price of meat + a bag of charcoal and some rehydration.

nice write up and pics. thanks for sharing, your setup and food look fantastic!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here