Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butts and Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butts and Beans

I'm going to smoke a 9 lb Wamart butt this weekend and am planning on cooking a gallon of beans under the butt to collect all dem juicy drippings (Sorry about the Pavlovian drool). Anybody have a ballpark figure on how many hours longer it's gonna take since I have a pan of beans in there. I'm using my electric (cookshack smoke) to do the job.

I don't know how much longer it will take. I would suggest if you're doing it for dinner that you start her early. I would also suggest chop it in 2 and leave plenty of space between the two halves if possible. Check the beans regularly to make sure they're not drying out. It will be a long cook, especially so if you cook all 9lbs intact.

A buddy of mine has en electric and his first cook was a pork butt, so I messaged him to see if he remembers how long things took. I'm sure other electric users will chime in shortly with their advice...

Comment

I dont think it takes much longer. I hve a materbuilt electric and smoked many butts in it, but always wrapped them at the stall. Make sure you add a bottle of beer to them, especially if there is a lot of sugar in the bean dish.

Comment

OK, so my buddy reported back. His first cook in his electric was roughly a 7-8lber, one chunk, cooked at 230. He said it took around 24hrs to hit 203 unwrapped. Beans shouldn't affect this, they'll be done wayyy sooner. FWIW.

Comment

Thanks guys! From your comments it would seem that you don't think adding the beans to the cooker will slow the cook. I have a pretty good idea on how long it would take without the beans, was just curious if having the beans in the cooker would add time to the cook.

Comment

24 hours? Holy smokes, pun intended. I usually run around 15 +/- an hour or two with a pork butt that size at 225 degrees. I remove and wrap at 150 internal temp. Add some sauce (barbecue/apple juice/minced garlic) and take it to the magical 203. Depending upon how competent I am at wrapping, the time can move up or down. The juices recovered from the wrap are simply amazing when it comes to prepping the final product. Remove the fat with one of those fat separators or just cool in a bowl and remove from the top. The juices are pure gold. Did I mention that the juices are great?

Cookshack SM45, previously a cheap masterbuilt...

Comment

• chudzikb
              chudzikb commented
              Editing a comment
              I am not arguing with your thinking, just saying what MY constraints are, wish I could get away with doing it your way. My wife is pretty savvy.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I always wrap my butts shortly into the stall, and I don't cook chunks larger than ~4 lbs. I see no reason to do larger chunks and spend more time and energy/fuel doing so.

• chudzikb
              chudzikb commented
              Editing a comment
              I never even thought about cutting them into more than one piece? Might have to try that method next time, I am sure it would quicken the process. Mine from last night is currently hung up around 196, has been wrapped since 150, not sure what is going on, but, not happy about it all...

This will be the first time I've cut a butt into two pieces. Here's the two hunks before the rub. I'm using MMD w/ salt (had saved an earlier version of the recipe, so using it up till gone and then I'll start dry brining instead of "rub brining") and leaving in the fridge till tomorrow night. Will start the smoke process then. The hunk on the right has the bone in it so I was planning on monitoring that piece with the remote probe. It's also the thinner of the two hunks. I'm assuming it will be done first and then I'll transfer the probe to the other piece at that time. Any suggestions to do it differently?

pClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3687.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	53123

Comment

Here are the steps and results of this weekends cook.

Friday night I rubbed the Chunks of Butts (COBs) with MMD (w/salt). Wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator at 10 PM.

I put the COBs and beans in the cookshack smoker at 2:00 AM Sunday morning at 225 F. Used 3 oz of hickory and 4 Kingsford blue briquetes.

Continued smoking the COBs until 4:30 PM Sunday afternoon. I did not wrap the meat during the smoke, since I didn't want to compromise the bark. The smaller COB with the bone had the Maverick probe in it and it only registered at 182 F, but I needed to get the food to a friends house, so I pulled it out, threw it in the stand mixer with dough hook and it shredded beautifully. Fall apart tender and really moist. Interestingly, the smaller and thinner COB was not quite as easy to shred as the larger COB. Nothing major, but did think it would have been the easier one to shred. I didn't take the time to check the temp in that COB since it partially fell apart when I pulled it out of the smoker and I was in a hurry, but it must have been a bit warmer than the smaller COB and therefore shredded easier. Didn't even add any basting sauce after shredding because it was so moist.

So what I think I learned from this cook was that adding the beans added a couple hours to what it normally takes me to cook a butt. This was the first time I'd cut a butt into two pieces so that was a new variable in the process that may have impacted the time too, but I'd think that would have helped things go quicker rather than longer. I'm sure wrapping would speed the cook time, but I'm hesitant to do so since I'm such a bark lover. Maybe next time I'll wrap one half and leave the other one bare to see if wrapped bark is something I'm willing to accept in order to speed things up when needed. A few pics are posted below.

Here are the two hunks of butt after "rub brining" about 16 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubbed butts.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	54398

Butts and beans in smoker with probes.

Name:	butts&beans.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	54399

The two pieces at the end of the cook.

Name:	cookedbutt.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	54397 Click image for larger version

Name:	cookedbutt2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	54400

And this is what it looked like when I shredded it into smaller chunks before hitting it with the dough hook.

Name:	pulledpork.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	54401

Comment

I've never heard of using the dough hook on the KA stand mixer to pull pork butt. That sounds interesting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here