Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to keep ribs when finished a couple hours early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep ribs when finished a couple hours early?

With a butt, this is easy in a cambro, but how do I handle finished ribs at 2:30 for a 5:00 meal? Should I go ahead and cut them and wrap in foil in a faux cambro, should I wrap them uncut and then just reheat in an oven?

Put in good dry cooler, not as good as cambro, but almost

Comment

I wrap my whole slab of ribs in foil, wrap in towels, then put them in the faux cambro

Comment

• dahcopilot
        dahcopilot commented
        Editing a comment
        works for me too. actually can do 5-6 hours.

Me? I'd wrap em uncut, to preserve moisture...
      'Cambro' by whatever best means ya have available, cooler, oven, what have ya...
      Reheat if needed, still wrapped...

Alternate method, but not my preference: cut, foil-covered pan in liquids of yer choice(apple juice, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, bbq sauce, butter, drippins), etc.

#2 works, just not th same results...

Comment

Thanks guys! My cooler is really good, but not big enough, so I think I'm going to cut them in half, wrap half slabs in foil, wrap in towel. Really appreciate the quick responses when I know y'all are doing your own thing today.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Always glad to help, like ecowper done said!
          Hope yer shindig is a big success, Happy Independence Day, amigo!

Happy to help Skelly .... it’s what the Pit is for

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          ^^^^This^^^^

So how did those faux-cambroed ribs eat, Skelly ? Inquiring minds and all that.

Kathryn

Comment

Start on the right hand side and work your way across like an ear of corn.

Comment

Keep em? Whataya talk? EAT dem WIBS!

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
              So how did those faux-cambroed ribs eat, Skelly ? Inquiring minds and all that.

Kathryn
              fzxdoc They were okay. I ate one when I cut them in half, because... well I wanted one. It was better than when we had the meal. They seemed a little dry by comparison. Still good, but nothing like when they first came off the PBC. I will say this, they were still nearly too hot to handle without gloves though. They ultimately only had to sit for about 1.5 hours.

Comment

Yeah I'll second what a couple have said... double foil, wrap in towels, and put in cooler. I've gotten away with 4+ hours that way before, especially if the cooler has a really tight seal

Comment

When we know there is a long gap from cook to serve we leave a good bit of tug on the ribs, wrap in plastic wrap and pack em tight in the cambro
                  Sauce after slicing they will be fine
                  heck you can refrigerate and serve the next day after a visit to your grill

the rib vendors do em that way in Reno and folks stand in-line for hours to get em
                  Last edited by Thom Emery; July 12, 2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Emery View Post
                    When we know there is a long gap from cook to serve we leave a good bit of tug on the ribs, wrap in plastic wrap and pack em tight in the cambro
                    Sauce after slicing they will be fine
                    heck you can refrigerate and serve the next day after a visit to your grill

the rib vendors do em that way in Reno and folks stand in-line for hours to get em
                    Thanks Thom Emery good to know. First time I ever smoked em without people already standing there waiting.

Comment

I'm thinking you FTC them until almost ready to serve then throw them on the grill high heat and paint them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here