Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig cheeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig cheeks

I’m embarrassed I haven’t got around to trying pig cheeks before today. I saw them on sale locally and bought a pack of four. Removing the slippery membrane was a bit tricky but didn’t take long. The four cheeks then joined the balance of yesterday’s box of chicken thighs on the CGA. All the meat had a sprinkling of peri-peri rub and I then sauced about 15 minutes before taking them off the grill. Thighs were predictably moist and tasty but the cheeks were a revelation. Soft, yet still retaining texture, moist and full of flavour. Real little gems. I’ll be buying more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3C6D8721-DA31-4B4E-9B25-1C37C62D1F4A.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	524488

Name:	74D1D503-B8A7-497D-AC88-AD5EE29319F5.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	524489

Name:	05DCF14C-EEFB-4433-BFAB-DF65B6BCF059.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	524490

Name:	D273CB5C-5F0B-4422-9EE9-E4E02B3E8C12.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	524491

Thanks for looking.

They do look might good.

Comment

Really nice. But next time you score some, try making guanciale - the cured version. Completely awesome alternative to regular bacon.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you suggested this, I was going to suggest the same.

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        I found smoked "guanciale" at our local Hispanic market last week--they call it smoked pork jowl (manufacturer is Owens). It does contain sodium nitrate. Anxious to try it.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        We just cured it and hung it in a porch breezeway for a month or so. I don't remember whether we used the Instacure or not. Used Ruhlman's recipe. Thing is, the fat is so creamy!

Thanks for showin! Great lookin cook.

Comment

Have never seen those for sale here but they sure look good. Nice job.

Comment

Right, then...
          Beautiful Job, That!
          Excellent pics, as well, brother!

Comment

I too like Big Cheeks ...... or sorry you were talking about Pig Cheeks !!!! Carry on ...

Comment

That looks great. I’ve only ever eaten beef cheeks (cachete in Spanish) in barbacoa. I had an uncle who would eat hogs jowls and offer me some when I was a kid. I assumed they were similar to the pickled pigs feet he also would offer me so I always refused. After seeing these pics I now regret that decision. I may have to try this.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, some of the stuff we passed on as kids makes me sad now.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here