Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracklin’ Pork Belly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracklin’ Pork Belly?

I was watching Smokelandia the other night, and they stopped at Hoodoo Brown BBQ for something they call "cracklin’ pork belly". As I recall they start with a skin-on pork belly and heavily salt the skin side (no other rub). Then it went into the smoker for 4-5 hours, and then into the oven. Don’t recall other specifics if they provided any. But I recall the end result - a really crunchy cracklin’ crust on top of the cooked pork belly. He described it as a sandwich with ham and bacon under the cracklin’. Has anyone ever done this successfully? Looked really interesting and different, curious if anyone has a recipe they could share.
    Attached Files

I get that skin when smoking a pork belly. I haven’t done it with salt on the skin. Either way, the skin is really hard, i.e. cracklin. Too hard for my taste buds, but give it a go and see if you like it. There’s no real recipe, just smoke a pork belly with the skin on. I bet the salt adds flavor.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah ok, thx Henrik . Not much experience with pork belly yet, but making bacon tomorrow and lighting the fire now for some burnt ends!

Like Henrik says just slap a piece on and let it roll. You need to up your heat at the end to get it crisp. You want to make sure that skin remains dry and supple, I too like to rub it with salt. Try it, it’s really fairly straight forward.

Comment

@FishTalesNC I was lucky enough to visit Hoodoo Brown in March and we had the cracklin' pork belly. I had been Instagram friends with them for some time so I sent a message and had a chance to hang with one of the owners for a while my parents tried to understand what exactly barbecue was.

He explained to me exactly how they make the pork belly and I wish I had taken detailed notes. Your assessment from the show is very close. He did say that they do a braise at some point of the meat, not the skin. I wish I could remember the liquid. I am guessing a local beer. I also believe the PB gets a flash fry at the end to really crisp it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8578.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	524367

Name:	IMG_8580.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	524368

Attached Files

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        That is awesome, allsid !! Looks delicious, thanks for sharing!

Here's an authoritative recipe from the culture that loves cracklin'. Go for the Siew Yuk.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man, now we’re talking... this will have to happen at some point, thanks EdF !!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It is very good. Just use your outdoor cooker as an alternative to the oven, and put in a light smoke. Awesome stuff.

I used to have a recipe that perfected this, but I didn't capture it and the guy went offline. Just like what happened with the best Pho recipe I ever tried. All before I had Evernote.
        Last edited by EdF; June 30, 2018, 12:30 PM.

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        I know, I love Evernote, I upgraded to the paid version and have zero complaints. Great app!

It's a matter of personal preference, but I love the hard cracklin skin on pork belly. Our method is to score the skin side then apply rub all over (MMD or similar). Lay skin side up on a bed of veggies and beer and cook indirect to a temperature in the 190º range. Then place over direct coals skin side down for a few minutes. Result is most of fat rendered, tender pork meat, and crispy skin! Pics . . . .

Name:	cooking.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	524403

Name:	uncut.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	524404

Name:	done belly-1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	524405

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, that looks really awesome. Digging the veggies cooking in the juices. Thank you for the recipe! 👍🏻

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here