Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9lb Pork Butt - What I learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9lb Pork Butt - What I learned...

Hey folks,
    I did a 9lb pork butt today and, for the first time, didn't wrap/clutch. It was the best decision I ever made!
    This beautiful piece of meat is the best thing I have ever smoked.
    I brined it in apple juice, kosher salt and rub spices for 24hrs. I scored the fat cap to let the brine reach the meat.
    I smoked it with apple wood for 10hrs until it hit 200F internal.
    I have never achieved good bark before... Until now!!!
    It was crispy and delicious!
    The meat was the most tender and juicy I have ever made!
    It fell apart in my hands.
    Tossed it in some homemade bbq sauce.
    The fat cap rendered down and crisped up so well that I couldn't let it go to waste. I chopped it very fine and tossed in the pork/sauce mix. Like little nuggets of flavor!

Thanks to everyone who advised me to try without wrapping. It turned out incredible!
    Attached Files

Yum. I don't wrap partly because it's easier not to - and now it's even nicer knowing it's the better way to go. Lookin' good!

Comment

Congratulations! I am wishing yo many more. I love doing them over night and serving them for lunch.

Comment

Congrats on improving your butts.

Comment

• ribeyeguy
          ribeyeguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish my wife would try improving hers.
          Last edited by ribeyeguy; June 29, 2018, 06:11 PM.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          ribeyeguy - ya better hope your wife never sees this comment.

Comment

I have decided that from now until the end of time there is no reason at all for me to ever wrap a pork butt. Just cook overnight or drag my lazy derrière up at some unholy hour of the morning and do what needs to be done. Then zombie shuffle back to bed.

Comment

• Xandera_7
            Xandera_7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Its worth it!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Same way here!

Just cook that puppy for 10 hours or so ..... if you are looking like you won’t be done on time, crank the heat up. Cooking a pork butt at 275 won’t hurt it at all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here