Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mangalitsa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mangalitsa?

Anyone ever use this breed? I know it’s a "larder" so it has way more fat than production pigs and people claim its taste is way different. The only info I’ve seen seems to be second hand, it would be nice to get some actual info!

I’m thinking a few racks of ribs and a butt, with some chops for my Otto.

I've heard of it, but haven't tried it yet. Found a good article on Wikipedia here.

Comment

They are fatty as all get out. Like super fatty.
      Dr. Eades is a fan:

I tend to think Kurobuta/Berkshire is the wagyu of pigs, and Tokyo X the Kobe, but he grew up on a hog farm.

Comment

Seems like pork belly might be interesting for this breed as well.

Comment

• Smocalypse
          Smocalypse commented
          Editing a comment
          Was thinking the same. One of the biggest producers is across the river from me and I'm thinking of taking a trip over. The belly looks nice, and I figure the shoulder would be amazing cooked in a smoker. I cant do anything with it until August, will report back in due time!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Great!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here