Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt - Crutch or no crutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt - Crutch or no crutch?

Hiya gang!
    I am doing a 9lb pork butt tomorrow on my Traeger. I have done a few of them and they always turn out good, but I have never achieved a good bark on em. I have always wrapped, but I am thinking of not wrapping tomorrow to get that nice dark bark.

What are your thoughts? Should I wrap or just let it go until it hits the right internal temp? What has worked for you?

I look forward to your responses!
    Last edited by Xandera_7; June 28, 2018, 06:28 PM.

I don’t wrap but it takes a lot more time. I like the thick bark that forms.

Comment

• snowswamp
      snowswamp commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve only done a few so I’m no pro. For me, I get a 14 lbs butt from Costco that is two 7 lbs boneless butts vac packed together. I tie them separately, dry brine, season and smoke per the AR recipie. It has taken about 12 hours if I remember right. I can speed it up a little by cooking at higher temp, about 275F instead of 225F.

• snowswamp
      snowswamp commented
      Editing a comment
      Halifax? I spent a summer in grad school doing field work in Antigonish. One of the best experiences I’ve had in my life.

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats awesome! Antigonish is a really nice area. Don't get to stop there much. Just pass through on the way to visit my folks.

If ya not smoking for bark, why you smoking? My motto. Use at your own discretion.

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose you have a point there... I always get a great smoke ring and beautiful flavor. Just never the color I want.

You did not say how big, if you go all the way I would allow between 14 to 16 hours

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Its about 9lbs. Biggest one I have done yet

My favorite way to cook them is unwrapped and when finished wrap them and hold them for at least two hours in a faux cambro.

Comment

I do the same as above. I don't wrap. And I used to use a big Styrofoam cooler, but now I use a Nesco 4818-14 table top roaster on 'warm' for faux cambro. Warm towels from the dryer - one on the bottom and one over the meat. The plus here is I've used it on my truck's invertor a few times and it didn't trip the circuit or seem to drain the battery when I finally got to where I was going and parked for ~ 30 mins.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Nesco Table Top.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	523669

Comment

I rarely have wrapped butts. My understanding is that you have less smoke on a pellet smoker anyway, so wrapping will reduce the bark even further.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I will amend my advice to say I would only crutch a butts or ribs if I have a timetable to meet, as wrapping in foil will get you through the stall and done quicker.

I've never wrapped a one of them, but I am not usin the same cooker...
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2402.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	523708Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2405.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	523709 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5057.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	523710Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5060.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	523711
        If I were in yer shoes, I'd go ahead on, an try one nekkid, see how yer bark goes, an tweak/ tune/twiddle from there!
        I wish ya th best of luck, Smoke On, brother!

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice pics, Bones.

Grilled Flank Steak Taco recipe with a Santa Maria style grill - served with a Fire Roasted Salsa. Check it out...

you may find this link interesting

when we are vending we wrap so the pork will shred easy

when cooking for the family we use a5 hour hot and fast cook Yep we wrap on those cooks

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Malcolm is great, the Paul Prudhomme of BBQ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e9.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	523800 wrap once we hit this color

Comment

Last few I did weren’t wrapped. Mainly because they were left overnight to cook, so time wasn’t an issue. The next one will be for a VIP event at a neighbors house on the 4th (a bunch of us kick in for fireworks that we totally promise will only be used for agriculture purposes to scare away birds or something - but in reality we plead the 5th). I’m not going to bother with wrapping because once again the cook will be low and slow overnight.

Comment

I'm a simple man. I've never wrapped anything. And I've never been disappointed. But I could be a cretin!

Comment

I don't wrap till they go in the FC.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here