Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbeque Pork on a Stick (Asian)--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbeque Pork on a Stick (Asian)--

A guy I work with brought this for a potluck and it was in-freaking-credible.

The only problem was that everyone needed a nap after out potluck lunch - lol!

The guy that brought said it is very close to his mom's recipe (he is Filipino).

Here is the link: http://www.kawalingpinoy.com/2013/03...rk-on-a-stick/

Barbecue Pork on a Stick

Prep time: 30 mins
    Cook time: 20 mins
    Total time: 50 mins
    Yield: 100 Count

Ingredients:

—6 pounds pork butt, sliced to 1-inch wide and ¼-inch thick
    —2 cups garlic, peeled and minced
    —2 liters 7-up
    —2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    —4 cups soy sauce
    —4 cups vinegar
    —6 cups brown sugar
    —4 to 5 thai chili peppers or 2 jalapenos, minced
    —2 cups oyster sauce
    —2 cups banana catsup
    —½ cup sesame oil

For the Spiced Vinegar Dip:

—1 cup white vinegar
    —3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    —½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
    —2 to 3 Thai chili peppers, chopped
    —1/8 tsp freshly-ground pepper
    —¼ tsp salt

Equipment:

—100 count bamboo skewers

Instructions:

1.Rinse pork strips and drain.
    2.In large bowl, combine 7-up, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, black pepper, garlic, peppers and half of the oyster sauce. Add pork and massage meat to fully incorporate. Marinate, turning meat once or twice, in the refrigerator overnight.
    3.In a bowl, combine remaining 1 cup of oyster sauce, banana catsup and sesame oil. Set aside.
    4.Thread 2 to 3 meat slices into each skewer. Grill meat over hot coals for about 2 to 3 minutes each side. When pork starts to lose its pink, baste with oyster-catsup mixture. Continue to grill and baste, turning on sides, until meat is cooked through. Remove from heat and serve as is or with spicy vinegar dip.

For the Spiced Vinegar Dip:

1.In a bowl, combine vinegar, garlic, onion, chili peppers, ground pepper and salt.

Notes:
    To prevent from burning, soak bamboo skewers for about 1 to 2 hours prior to grilling.

That looks interesting. I didn't know what banana catsup is so I looked it up. Here is a link to a recipe on the Serious Eats site: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...up-recipe.html

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love oyster sauce. Did you find commercial banana catsup near you, HC?

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but we have a HUGE Asian supermarket - one of the biggest in the state.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool.

I pretty much love anything that combines Asian and grilling. When I have some time from work and jury duty, I'll give this a try. It looks like it would be good for chicken thighs too.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely good for a party or potluck! They went super-fast!!!

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you get selected for a jury, Strat?

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      We're going through the selection process. Big pool.

Thanks for sharing. I'm doing a cook for 300 ppl later in the year and I might just have to use this

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Lots of prep, but very easy to serve with minimal clean up.

Thanks for posting. Will have to give this a try.

Comment

Bump (both the post and the obvious come on). It's funny but the recipe itself is something my wife, whose Filipino, does every so often. Bear in mind they love their vinegar and the dipping sauce will make you pucker. Unlike the bumper who is looking for a ......

Comment

HC was a good bird, wish he was still a member.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed.

I'm thinking they underestimated prep time...just slicing loo slices to that spec would take me over 20 minutes, much less sticking them on skewers. Nonetheless I loved these in Asia.

Prep time: 30 mins
        Cook time: 20 mins
        Total time: 50 mins
        Yield: 100 Count

Ingredients:

â—¦6 pounds pork butt, sliced to 1-inch wide and ¼-inch thick

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm making this tonight. I noticed also that the recipe in the link is a bit different even though the amount of pork is the same. I'm going to follow the recipe posted by the OP.
          Last edited by 58limited; February 11, 2022, 06:59 PM.

OK, I'm making this tonight: one 10 lb pork butt after trimming and deboning gave me 7.15 lbs meat. Following the recipe from the OP yielded 4 liters of marinade. I was going to use my 6L bread proofing bucket but quickly realized that everything won't fit so I divided the marinade between 2 buckets. I added the minced garlic and minced Thai peppers (thank God for food processors), brown sugar, and black pepper after the liquid was mixed and divided so that everything is equal. The marinade tastes great thus far. I think I could have marinaded all of the meat in 2L of marinade but it wouldn't have fit into one bucket so I divided the meat between the two buckets. I'll cook them tomorrow on the PK-O.
        Last edited by 58limited; February 11, 2022, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          ……..and ?

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Still marinating. I'm about to skewer them and fire up the PK.

Here ya go Troutman

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork5.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	1174098

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          It must be party time. Those look so delicious!

Kathryn

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you employing antigravity techniques over there in Port Arthur? 🤪😂

58limited , first that looks killer. Then, I looks like something one could make in smaller batches & also,good fer leftovers. Muchos thanks.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, definitely a smaller batch next time. It was for the Super Bowl so it was all eaten.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here