Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korean Pork Shoulder Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean Pork Shoulder Steaks

This looks like it'd be mighty tasty. Anybody ever try Korean shoulder steaks?

The centerpiece of Korean barbecue is the meat, but it doesn't have to be steak; Seattle chef Rachel Yang recommends grilling this gochujang pork shoulder.

Have you tried it??? If you like Korean food, I have a great kimchee recipe. I eat it daily. Let me know...

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      No, just found the recipe tonight. Was wondering if anybody had ever tried making steaks out of a shoulder.

Would love a good kimchee recipe!

Our local grocer(s) sell a lot of these. We actually prefer them to center-cut pork chops. Doing them Korean style would be fab! They would be great with a Kalbi marinade, then low and slow like ribs. I haven't done them this way, but have cooked them low and slow with other flavor profiles with excellent results, in my 7-in-1. Oh hell, now the secret's out! lol

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      What is a 7-in-1?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Masterbuilt 7-in-1 (check signature)

This looks good! Might have to try this

Comment

This could work with the sliced picnics I get from my supermarket.

Comment

Here is the kimchee that I make:
        2 large Chinese cabbages (napa)
        180 grams course salt
        water
        Cut cabbages into chunks and soak them in the salt and water for 4-5 hours
        For the sauce, 10Tbsp fish sauce
        10Tbsp red pepper powder
        1 onion
        4-5 cloves garlic
        1 oriental pear
        1Tbsp salt
        1/2tsp sugar
        touch of ginger
        4 spring onions
        Process everything in blender except spring onions. After soaking cabbage, drain and mix in sauce by hand. Cut spring onions into chunks and add them.
        Pack into jars (makes about 3 quarts). Don't close them too tight, the fermentation will release co2. It can be eaten immediately, flavor improves as it ferments. Should keep for a year in the fridge.
        Me personally, I use 5Tbsp fish sauce and 5Tbsp soy. For the red pepper powder, I use 6Tbsp cayenne and 4Tbsp paprika.
        Enjoy!!! It is one of the top 10 healthiest foods in the world!

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          No oriental pears in western NE. Suggestions for a substitute?

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Apples work well. I sometime use them in my kimchee.

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for this, gonna try it this week!

I just ordered some gochujang on Amazon. I can hardly wait to try this.

Comment

I take one quart and let it ferment at room temp for a week to speed it up. The other two go to the root cellar, about 55 degrees. As for the pears, 1 oriental pear equals 2 American pears.

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            This is some damn good stuff. So far I've just been eating it straight, but I'm thinking some kimchi ramen soup or some kimchi wood fired pizza sounds good too!

• Eastonbeef
            Eastonbeef commented
            Editing a comment
            I 'm glad you like it. I was hooked instantly too. I like your pizza idea!!! We make our own pizzas, love sauerkraut on them... lets kick it up a notch!!! Thanks!

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            So do you seal the jars completely when fermenting or do you leave a crack for co2 release?

Delicious!

Comment

Gochujang arrived today. I have a couple of pieces of sliced pork shoulder left over from my jerk pork cook in the freezer. I am going to be making this soon. DEW

Comment

Hey Dr ROK! Don't know why it took me so long... republic of korea?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastonbeef View Post
                Hey Dr ROK! Don't know why it took me so long... republic of korea?

Good call, i've been there many times and still defaulted (due to the pic) to him just being a Rolling Stones fan.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ROK refers to Rider of Kawasaki &/or Rock & Roll fan

• _John_
                  _John_ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had a ZRX 1100 and an old KZ1000. Don't ride any more though.

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Had a KZ 400 just out of HS and had to sell when we had kids. (Wife was an ER nurse at the time & wanted to make sure I was around for awhile.) Kids are all grown now so the Mrs and I enjoy a 1600 vulcan and multiple day trips. Longest one was an 11 day roundtrip to Canada from here in western NE.

That's loyalty Dr ROK. I'm a big Def Leppard fan but have only seen them 4 or 5 times.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Def Leppard definitely another good one from across the pond. Saw them once here in Nebraska (Kick ass performance) about 10 or 15 years ago at a festival called Comstock Rock. Had about 5 big name bands everyday for 3 or 4 days in a row. They did it for about 3 years in a row. Got to see Skynyrd, George Thorogood, Foreigner, Grand Funk, Nugget, Molly Hatchet, Blue Oyster Cult, REO, .38 Special, and a bunch more of the 70s & 80s rock bands. Take the RV and the family and had some crazy good times! Wish I could cook then like I can now! Would have had a lot of folks never leaving our campsite

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That sounds like a great time. DL puts on one heckuva powerful show. I try to tell my buddies (who aren't really fans) how good their shows are, I think they think they're washed up and old. I've also had the privilege of seeing Styxx and Steppenwolf (on the classic rock side of things), Poison, STP, and a slew of country groups/artists. I love live music, even if I'm not a big fan of the genre, live music happening in front of you is just cool. Except rap/hip hop, sorry.

Ha! I'm with you on the wrap crap!

Comment

If you like kimchi this is a very good recipe: http://divinehealthyfood.com/healthy...-kimchi-ramen/

I found it at this link: http://www.chow.com/food-news/160506...-kimchi-dishes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here