Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Berkshire Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Berkshire Butt

I made my first ever Berkshire Pork Butt and man was it awesome. I put it on my RT680 last night at 10:30. It was rubbed with a modified "competition pork and beef rub" from Oakridge. I added about 2/3 cup of 50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Got up a couple times through the night to spritz it with a 50/50 Apple Cider Vinegar and Apple Cider mix. From start to "like buttah" with a skewer, it took 9 hours. IT was 198* when I put it in the faux cambro for 4.5 hrs before pulling. I'm definitely happy with this cook, my best pulled pork yet. So tender and moist, and talk about flavor! The smoke was a combo of mesquite, hickory, and alder.

I served it as sliders with some Carolina BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese, coleslaw and pickled red onions. MM MM Good!

I never wrapped it, and it never really seemed to have much of a stall after looking at the temp graph. I recently did another butt, same size at 9 lbs pre trim, and it took 14 hours WITH a wrap at 170*. Anyone have any ideas as to why this may have happened? I wonder if it's normal for the Berkshire's to cook faster. I only mention is as an afterthought for future planning. Luckily the company was able to come a little early but I hadn't intended to serve food until around 2 o'clock with only about a 30-60 minute rest. Regardless, if you haven't had one of these, I highly recommend it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6195.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	517945Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1792.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	517946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3123.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	517948Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1547.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	517950Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6246.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	517951Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8489.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	517947Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7149.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	517949

Red meat!

Comment

I've done a Berkshire butt a few times and they always took 12-14 hours if I remember right....
      they have great taste!

Comment

Gorgeous. Looks like you started with an amazing hunk of meat.

Comment

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely, good quality meat makes the cooker's job a heck of a lot easier!

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          And you did a heckuva job too!

That looks great.

Comment

Man, I gotta find a store around here that carries Berkshire!

Comment

Beautiful color on that raw butt and a beautiful cook! How do you like that Oak Ridge Beef and Pork rub. I have some but have yet to try it on something. Seems to be a difficult combination to make work with the bold flavors for beef and sweet for pork,

Comment

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            I like it a lot for pork, not so much for beef. I added quite a bit of salt and pepper though to give it a lot more of the Texas black pepper taste. That being said we tend to lean more towards heavy pepper than heavy sweet in my family

Great looking pork butt. How did you like the heritage pork, was it a lot better than what you normally cook?

Comment

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            Hands down yes. It was incredible how much juicier it was. And perfectly tender. Still had some chew but almost melt in your mouth. Definitely cooked a lot faster than other butts I have done though so keep that in mind

Hey...I know where you got that! Good looking cook.

Comment

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            I love Pape’s, I’ve got a skin on pork belly in order right now too, I think I’m picking it up tomorrow actually!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here