Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sliced pork collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliced pork collar

I got a few pork collars from SRF a few weeks ago. I used two for pulled pork, which was delicious. I think I’d like to make sliced pork with the other one. I’m using a kettle plus SnS. I’m thinking of maybe taking it off at 185-195 internal temp, but I’m not sure exactly. I’m thinking I’d like to thinly slice it for sammiches. Any one done this before, or have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Red Man; June 14, 2018, 09:51 PM.

After figured out what it was I would cook about 175 and slice thin sounds delicious

Comment

I’d never heard of this cut so I started reading about it. Found a recipe on Saveur that says to cook to 140 and one on the Traegger site that says cook to 160.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire Art View Post
        After figured out what it was I would cook about 175 and slice thin sounds delicious
        175 sounds reasonable. I don’t think I’d go any lower. It should slice nicely and the fat will not all have melted. I cooked the last one to 203. It pulled nicely. All the fat had melted, and it was very juicy. I didn’t get a pulled pic, but here’s before and during cooking pics.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	8BD78E3F-47B3-4C11-B18A-62A651194792.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	516455Click image for larger version

Name:	3F2E0769-111B-46EA-A55B-B87BA7AF58FF.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	516456Click image for larger version

Name:	DFB7F6C0-CB05-467C-88E2-0D1B4596F59A.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	516457

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	62B967F4-02E6-441D-AADA-59EF1AE210BC.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	518093 Well...it came out pretty well. I cooked it to 178 and cambro’d it for an hour. Served it sliced with cornbread, potato salad, and spicy dill pickle spears. I decided not to go for sammiches. I figured I’d use the leftovers to make Cuban sandwiches. Click image for larger version

Name:	ABAA8C64-2D9E-4E0B-A577-FED9F28EC6C5.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	518094

Comment

Looks delicious, both pre cook, an post!
              Nice job, brother!

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here