Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question(s) on bacon curing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question(s) on bacon curing...

Ok. I went through this sub-forum and didn't quite get the answers i was looking for (and maybe i'm just lousy at searching). I love bacon, but haven't had a slice in well over a year now due to the sodium content of commercial bacon. I've cured my own corned beef and pastrami and neither seems to "bother" me much as I soak it for a couple of days after curing to blanch out the salt (and, of course, I limit my intake).

Most comments I've seen about curing bacon is that you simply rinse after the cure and go. I've seen several comments saying "no" to an extended soak after the cure. Is there a reason for the "no"? Does belly not respond well to an extended soak to purge as much sodium as possible? I'm looking for a way to get bacon back into my life! Maybe I'm just outta luck?

The salt is inside the meat thanks to the cure?

Comment

I have presoaked store bought cured ham with decent results could you not make bacon from this

Comment

My wife’s taster is salt sensitive, so I soak all my "cured" bacon for at least an hour after rinsing off the spices & salts. Works just fine! Try an hour and if that’s not enough try longer. The meat is cured. Desalination to suit your taste/needs should be no problem. Good luck & enjoy!!!

Comment

O did some research on this a while back and found that you can use celery juice powder. It's a bit expensive, and probably does not "cure" bacon as there is no salt. Google it and see what you think. I have not tried it yet.

Comment

This isn't a question of taste. I'm on a sodium restricted diet which is why I make my own corned beef, pastrami and other assorted lunch meats as well. I can control the sodium content, and with stuff like corned beef and pastrami I limit my intake even though I post cure soak the heck out of it. I've been restricted long enough that I've gotten over the bland taste most salt lovers associate with lack of salt. I make all of my own rubs and while I will dry brine I go dang light on the salt. For me a little goes a long way now.

Think I'm gonna give bacon a try with a nice long post cure soak. I'll start with a small portion following Meatheads recipe and see how it works out! Thanks for the responses folks! Truly appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Keiferr View Post
            O did some research on this a while back and found that you can use celery juice powder. It's a bit expensive, and probably does not "cure" bacon as there is no salt. Google it and see what you think. I have not tried it yet.
            The celery powder is a substitution for 'pink' salt, not regular salt, which is still used in the CP recipes. It is sold as 'uncured' as USDA does not recognise naturally occurring nitrates as an effective curing agent. It is not recommended for use in bacon. That said, I've made bacon without pink salt or CP, however temperature is critical and you leave yourself at risk.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF I used the word 'regular' to differentiate from 'pink', but yes I meant 'kosher' not 'table'. Somewhat ironic using kosher salt to make bacon, eh?

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              It's the right stuff, though!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I read the same negative comments on the celery curing thing. Prague powder is used in such a small amount, no problems there. Plus I ain’t tempting the bot !!!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here