Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

321 rib ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

321 rib ?

I'm wanting to try the 321 method this weekend for the first time on some back pork ribs, just to do something different.
    My question is how do you make sure not to over cook them , if there wrapped in foil I feel like it could be easy to over cook them since you cant really do the bend test periodically.... is that just the learning curve with that method???

also is there much advantage to the 321 method (more flavor?) over just leavin em necked?? thanks!

Meathead talks about crutching and the 321 method Here. Look near the bottom in the Ribs section for the link on 321 specifically, he agrees with your concerns about overcooking.

Comment

You could always check them 1 hr into the foil and then again 30-45 minutes later. Just unwrap and do the bend test or bone check.

Comment

5 hrs is Too long for back ribs...especially if u wrap them
        211 would be a better choice, even then chance for overcooking is still possible

Comment

• PaynTrain
          PaynTrain commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with overeasy. I tried the 321 method a few times, and too overdone. It is not easy to see how your ribs are really doing in the foil. 211 is way closer. I still like the open the whole time method, and just devote the time to making them perfect!

You really want to make sure you don't overshoot the initial 3 hrs unwrapped portion of the cook. It may take closer to 2 hrs. If you have a Thermapen, check the internal temp. If it's around 160 - 165, probably time to wrap. It's not easy to get an accurate reading, but it can be done.

Comment

I do not crutch baby backs or any ribs any longer. I feel they get to spongy in texture. I also feel it is impossible to easily tell when done. I know this is a controversial topic to some.

Comment

I know if I get Costco baby backs there is no way the bend test works. They are always 3lbs+. Too much meat to ever crack. I prefer the 3-2-1. That method always seems to work for me. You don't get the bark, but I prefer tenderness and juiciness over bark if I had to choose. I agree that it would be wise to give them a "probe tender" check midway through the wrap. I don't know if it's just coincidence, but usually when the bones are about 1/4-1/2 inch exposed is when they are probe tender in my experience. I also 3-2-1 spares as well.

Comment

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree on the size of the Costco ribs. I have had good luck using 2.5-1.5-1. Sauce if desired with about 20 min remaining.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I trim the costco baby backs. The loin chunk never cooks right as a rib. It's just on there to pump the weight of the ribs, as it's cheaper as loin, where it belongs.

I don’t bother with the wrap. Less work to just cook them naked.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here