Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt question

I dry brined my pork butt and then things happened and I didn't smoke it when planned. How many days can I keep it in the fridge with the hope of smoking it soon? Should I just freeze it? Can I get away with a week?

The salt is a non issue.... however the time is another thing....

When was the use by date?

A mass of meat that size takes a while to freeze and incidentally a while to thaw so....

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      True enough Nate

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF At least that is IMHO... could be wrong... you have any thoughts on how long he can wait with the meat? Only other thing I can think is cut it in half or quarters to thin it out and maybe get it to freeze faster.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I think an answer to your first question about the "use by" date would help here.

Bump! Anyone got some thoughts?

Comment

As cheap as butts are toss and start over

Comment

I took 8 butts out of the freezer last Tuesday and put in fridge to thaw. Planned to smoke on Saturday but got rained out. Smoking them tomorrow. I'm guessing it took until Friday before they completely thawed out so I'm not worried in the least.
        Your nose will tell you if something is going bad when you take them out of the cryo.

Comment

In my experience, good things happen when you put frozen butts straight from the freezer unto the the smoker. Just be sure to apply the rub before freezing. There is no downside to doing this, except it could take as much as an hour longer to get done. Or crank up the heat a little and save that time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here