Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokin' a butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokin' a butt

I've done pulled pork in the past, but not since I've had a few rounds of brisket, and a lot of time spent on here. I try to do one good smoke per weekend to push my experience and comfort level with different cooks. That being said I've got a 9.5 #er on the rectec, and we're moving along nicely!

Not sure if I'll wrap or not, but based on the fact that we all want to eat it for dinner, as opposed to a midnight snack or breakfast tomorrow, I think I may have to. Thoughts anyone?

I didn't have the time to put together a batch of MMD, but I did have just enough of Oakridge Secret Weapon rub, which I believe will do just fine!

We're currently at 110* IT, just shy of 4 hours in. Just made a batch of bloody Marias, about to cook up some bacon in my new Stargazer CI skillet, then fry up some eggs in the grease! I'll keep you all posted!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8430.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	510326Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	510327

I'm about 3 hours behind you. I have an 8 lb'er going for an hour. I'll be pulling pork at 10 tonight.

Comment

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! photos?! How did you season? What're you cooking on?

Looking forward to the results. You call it a Bloody Maria? Don't know that variation but I'll take one ...

Comment

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      Exact same as a Bloody Mary only use Tequila instead of Vodka! I am a tequila man through and through plus I just plain don't like vodka. So it's a win win for me! (and you gotta have the dilly beans too)

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I too can't quite live without a little Patron, I'll have to try that variation !!!

Ever been to Puerto Villarta? The State of Jalisco is the true home of all sanctioned tequila in Mexico. All other produced outside of there is mezcal..

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      Never been to Puerta Vallarta, but I've been to Playa Del Carmen and Cabo San Lucas. My wife and I are going back to Cabo in January. Great place to visit. Being that I work in construction, I work with ALL Mexicans, they bring awesome food and great tequila around. One day I'll make a trip to the city of Tequila an get the full experience!

If your cook is going to slow, you can bump a butt up to 300* easily - the butt can take it. (Can I say "bump a butt" on here?)

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd listen to RonB today!

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I'll push 'er up to 275* Currently at 125 IT 5 hours in.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Better do at least 275 if you want it for dinner... You're gonna need some momentum going into the "stall"! Good luck!

I have my butt set at 250. The temp will go higher when I get tired of waiting.

Comment

I woke up to a warming fridge so I put my butt on I was planning to do Sunday. It’s the Berkshire from Pape’s so I wanted to avoid throwing it out. I got it on at 9am and am going at 275 instead of my usual 225 so I can dine before 7pm too. Good luck.
      Attached Files

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! I was too lazy to drive all the way out to Pape's yesterday when I was struck with pork butt inspiration. I think I'm going to get one next week to do Father's Day.

Hangin' out in the stall!

Name:	IMG_3079.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	510548

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like it's well on its way to perfection!

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Now I'm just not sure if I want to wrap or not. I think I'll give it another 45 minutes, I just bumped it up to 290* so well see if it starts to pull ahead.

It's so close! at 200* IT, but the blade still isn't loosening up! The suspense is killing me!

Comment

Name:	13F0596D-F12F-415F-8E2A-D7DFFE997ADF.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	510826Click image for larger version

Name:	89D1C845-FBA0-4A10-8AC2-A66BCF00FF75.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	510827Click image for larger version

Name:	D0FB30CB-0920-42A2-82D4-7CDC1D5092C4.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	510828 Delish! Turned out great, made some sliders too!

Comment

Looks great!!! What was your total cook time?

Comment

HorseDoctor 15 hours total, I started the pit temp at 225 then as time and stress continuously crept up so did the pit temp. Ended with the pit temp at 285.

Comment

Oh and I never ended up wrapping it, although I think the bark could've taken it.

Comment

I just did my first butt yesterday. It was a 7 pound butt. Started it at 5:00 am, and cooked it for right at 12 hours. I was able to keep the grill temp between 225 and 250 for the vast majority of the time. I had a lot of fun doing it, it came out with a great flavor, and I am looking forward to doing another one soon!

Comment

• JakeT
                  JakeT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome! Post some pics!

• Mtbell001
                  Mtbell001 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Too late for the pics...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here