Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorial Day Baby Back Trifecta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorial Day Baby Back Trifecta

My dry rub expert got to work on these 3 baby back racks at 8:30am. In the pics the single cookie sheet was kosher salt & MMD, on the other sheet the bottom one was Blues Hog and the top was Weber. Had them on the 26” kettle with a water filled SNS with Weber briquettes and cherry wood chunks, and was up to temp by 10:15am. It rained off and on all day, but the SNS performed admirably and the kettle temp was consistent between 225-240F with just a couple vent adjustments. At 1pm I swapped the front and back racks. At 3:15 hit them with a little BBQ sauce (mix of things in the fridge) and then back on for 45 min. Took them off, sauced once more, wrapped and held in the oven until 5pm. Delicious!

Verdict: No surprise, the MMD ribs were the favorite. The brown sugar shines thru and gives more of that sticky caramelization goodness. Big surprise (to me), the Weber was a VERY close 2nd, and the BH a distant third.
    Attached Files

That’s a darn cute dry rub expert! I like the side by side tasting, sounds great.

Comment

Fantastic that your DRE enjoys helping. That'll be a lifetime gift she'll always thank you for.

Comment

Just got hungry for ribs again. Nice comparison.

Comment

Great looking cook, cute DRE! I don’t think my daughters would help me now, but at that age they were willing! Somehow I figured you wouldn’t need a rib rack for just 3 racks on the 26”. I of course us one for more than 2 racks on my Performer.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            FishTalesNC I’ve found that with water in the SNS you can pretty much have meat just short of the SNS and it’s still cool. That water trough area creates a good thermal buffer at grate level. Heat rises after all, and the ribs flat on the grate won’t get over cooked near the SNS like you might think.

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Thx jfmorris I’ll have to try that next time - no flipping & rotating would be a win. Btw I keep seeing your full set of grill grates for your Performer, think I "need" that as well, you’ve convinced me.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            FishTalesNC yeah, unless I am reverse searing with the SNS, I use the Grillgrates for all my charcoal direct grilling. Let’s me use the entire grill for stuff like chicken, chops, burgers, without fooling with a 2 zone setup for those items.

Would you think about doing the test without sauce?

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            I would if it were just me, my wife and kid wouldn’t be as keen on it. I was also expecting neighbors so wanted a sauce - but they no showed! Leftovers tomorrow!, 👍🏻

I was just wondering because I have found that saucing needs to balance with the rubs. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s a great point dshaffes I thought about that because we loved the BH rub on a recent pulled pork smoke with BH TN Red sauce. A "controlled" sauce was the best I could do for today’s experiment, but still not an ideal test as you noted. Nothing went as planned this entire weekend tho! 😆

Quite the expert indeed. What a cutie.

So you use a rib rack even on a 26 incher? Good to know.

Kathryn

P.S. I just now read your comment above about it. I have yet to use a rib rack. For some reason I've been leery of them. Dunno why--maybe concerned about non-uniform cooking?

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Kathryn what I’ve found with the rack on a kettle is the top edge does cook a little faster than the edge towards the grate, due to the temperature being higher that far above the grate. I just flip the slabs of ribs end to end about halfway through the cook. I wouldn’t use the rack unless doing more than 2 on the kettle though.

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc I’m a noob, got my SNS for Christmas, still finding my way. I have found I need to rotate them within the rack 1/2 way thru, and as you can see it still looks uneven on edges. 🤔 I do want a PBC for my next cooker thx to your posts btw - esp for chicken. And I’ve passed on some of your InstaPot wisdom to my wife, she got one a few weeks ago! 👍🏻

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, jfmorris and FishTalesNC for the information. I'd love to get a 26 inch Weber for even more real estate than my WSCGC, but really don't need one. I sure love looking at them in the stores, though. I was just surprised that, with all that room, a rib rack was necessary, but can now follow the logic. Good to know about how to mitigate the uneven heating when using a rib rack.

K.

Nice job on the ribs. And a great DRE to help!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here