Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked and Braised Rib Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked and Braised Rib Tips

I'm not sure what to call this. I trimmed down a full slab of short ribs to St. Louis cut about three weeks ago and froze the tips for later use. Well, today was that later use.

I cut them into smaller pieces and threw them in the smoke for a little over two hours after brining and rubbing. While that was going on I prepped some veggies: onions, garlic, carrots, and a parsnip. When the meat had been in the smoke for a while I caramelized the onions in a CI Dutch oven, and then threw in the rest of the veggies and enough chicken broth to cover.

Then I added the meat and enough beef broth (I ran out of chicken broth) to come up almost half way on the meat. Covered and put in a 275F oven for a little over two more hours. I also added some flour to start the gravy.

About that time I boosted the oven to 350F and put a small batch of CI cornbread in the oven. That took not quite 20 min to bake.

At that time I pulled everything out, finished the noodles (whose water I started when I put the cornbread in the oven) and it was ready to serve.

Seasoning was pretty simple. Pretty standard dry brine and pork rub on the meat. Salt and Monterey Steak Seasoning on the veggies and in the broth, with allspice added to the gravy close to the end.

I don't know exactly what to call this, but I can promise that the flavor from the smoke and the tenderness from the braise is just out of this world!

I figure most of you can figure out what I did from the pics, but if not, give a holler. This was 100% seat of the pants with no recipe but I'll do my best to tell you what's going on.

As an afterthought, this might be a good way to treat bone-in country ribs, too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_195528.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.73 MB ID:	506565Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_165815.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	506566Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_193344.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	506567Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_193105.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	506568Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_193303.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	506569Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_144133.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.15 MB ID:	506570Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_165157.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.03 MB ID:	506571Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_170442.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.87 MB ID:	506572Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_164234.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.21 MB ID:	506573Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_143953.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	506574Click image for larger version  Name:	20180527_142436.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	506575
    Last edited by boftx; May 27, 2018, 10:26 PM.

Wow! We ate rib tips in Jambalaya growing up.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Rib tips seem to be the red-headed step child in the pork world. But if you can deal with the bones and cartilage they have some fantastic flavor.

Smoke, then braise: always a winner in my book! Looks real good.

Comment

Sounds great. Ya got me thinkin' though. That might be the way to go with some short ribs, or maybe make some pot pies after the simmer.

Comment

Oh my. Looks delicious. Mouth watering. That’s really good seat of the pants flying.

Comment

Num! I am playing with something similar with beef short ribs for my next book. I separated the meat from the bones and smoked them side by side in my recipe.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought about that, but they just fell right out at the end when it was time to eat.

Oh I love it whatever you call it !!! A braised meat dish with those egg noodles and the corn bread, I mean can you say comfort food !!!??? Nice work, and lovely pix and write up !!!

Comment

Sucking the Bones and cartilage is the best part. Like the pigs feet in Menudo, the best part.

Comment

Looks fantastic!

Comment

Great looking cook!

Comment

I think your avatar rocks! All attitude!

Comment

Oh hell, you "boiled" the ribs! But I'll bet they were really good. There's no better braising meat than short ribs as far as I can tell. And my Mama's spares in "gravy" (tomato sauce) were no slouch either! Thanks for sharing, and get off my lawn!

Comment

• boftx
                      boftx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Boiled? Just what the heck do you think you're doing when you wrap your ribs and butts?

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't wrap. Besides, it was a joke. Get off my lawn! ;-)

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Seriously, I really like braised or stewed short ribs. Very fine!

That sounds fantastic!! Nothing I like more than winging it in the kitchen. Great job!

Comment

Interesting combination, but it sure sounds good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here