Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Pulled pork (Bone in Pork Shoulder) in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Pulled pork (Bone in Pork Shoulder) in the UK

I'm smoking some pulled pork on my Weber Smokey Mountain this weekend (planning an overnight session). Living in the UK, obtaining the US cuts of pork can be difficult; I usually settle on boneless pork shoulder from Costco UK.

This weekend, I'm cooking for a larger crowd so I went to my local butcher and asked for a 4kg (approx 9lb) "bone in pork shoulder", which I understand is way to ask for a Boston Butt in the UK.

The cut that I was presented with are shown, which looks different to what I expected (and includes a section of ribs at the bottom). Is this right? Any advice from the experts would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

That looks like a rib roast

Comment

That's what I was worried about...

Unfortunately, I've dry brined it now so can't really take it back. Is it possible to smoke this thing to get pulled pork?

Comment

I don't know
        Make pork chops instead

Comment

You'll be fine! You have the whole shoulder blade instead of just the top part plus some ribeye meat on the spine side. Go for it! Might be a good idea to not trim and perhaps pan &/or wrap once you have good bark. That way you can save all the juices in case the loin part gets a little dry. Great looking pork shoulder! I'm jealous! Awesome color! Makes much of our commercial pork look like chicken! Time was, they advertised it as "the other white meat". Bred pigs to grow so fast & lean that now they can hardly give away the loins... Have a great feast!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement - much appreciated! I wanted to be sure that I'm starting with the right cut if I'm going to give up much of my sleep this evening

I was planning to follow Meathead's advice in his "Perfect Pulled Pork" recipe (below) and smoke overnight at 225 without foiling. Having foiled in the past (and pretty much eradicated the bark), Meathead's simple approach really appealed. Is that not a good idea in this case?

This easy pulled pork recipe skips the slow cooker to create authentic low-and-slow smoked pulled pork on a smoker or grill. With smoke woven through the moist meat, bits of seasoned crust, and a gentle splash of BBQ sauce, pulled pork is perfect for your next backyard cookout.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Just a suggestion to catch some juice if you feel the pork needs moisture once pulled. Can always use sauce if you don't have juice/fat. Enjoy!

• jecucolo
              jecucolo commented
              Editing a comment
              If you wrap it at around 180* you should still be ok on the bark.

How did it turn out?

Comment

It was wonderful - I followed Meathead's instructions (no wrapping involved) and it took nearly 16 hours to reach 187F, where it stayed for a couple more hours. This being the third "stall" (and the party getting hungry) I took a long look in the smoker and found the most succulent pork shoulder. I rested it for a further hour and pulled to great compliments...

The "socket" bone that you can see in the second photo is actually the end of the shoulder bone which came out smooth as you like (see photo). I forgot to take a picture of the finished article (it vanished rather quickly )

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9027.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	507086
              Last edited by Chippy; May 28, 2018, 03:42 PM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

Good job. Future reference 225 is a minimal temp. Don’t be afraid to crank it up to 250-275 range. For me they cook faster. Also when crunched for time it doesn’t hurt to wrap then unwrap again

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here